Old 23-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Darren Garrison

Default First Blooms of 2005!

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:35:48 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva" wrote:

The single plant that the aphids are congregating on
is the sickest--White Lightnin,' which has obviously
suffered dieback of about half its canes. The buds were
so thick with aphids I actually hesitated before I
squished then was in a beeeeg hurry to wash off the
aphid juice. Eyyeuuu. But I wonder why the aphids would
be thicker on that plant than the others?

Buy some ladybugs. I ordered some from Ebay (supposedly 4500 for $11.00, but who could count them?)
and within minutes of my releasing them, they were taking care of my aphid problem. Minutes after
that, the aphids were gone. Check out photos of the massacre he

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/lady/

Old 24-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Gail Futoran

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.8d99f5524773ce7f04513657d3e76e3c @1114209348.nulluser.com...
The winner is:

Distant Drums, the own-root planted two in a hole, beating the
grafted one which only has buds. Second is the potted Scentimental,
beating the one in the ground. A very close third is Mutabilis,
which is now a 10 ft X 10 ft round shrub.

My Distant Drums (3 shrubs) were either the first or
among the first to bloom, too. Most of my roses are
now in their second or third flush. The spring-mostly
(e.g. Ferdinand Pichard) and spring-only (Village Maid)
bloomers aren't close to finishing, perhaps thanks to a
relatively mild spring for my area.

Budding roses: Don Juan, Sombrueil, New Day, White Lightnin',
Margaret Merrill, All That Jazz, Happy Child, Arizona, Heart
O' Gold, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Abraham Darby, Granada,
Rio Samba, Radio Times, Christian Dior, Full Sail, Pat Austin,
Penelope, Golden Celebration, Tineke, Great Century, Europeana,
the raspbery-scented Sonia Rykiel, Touch of Class, Ink Spots,
Antigua, Mr. Lincoln, Tradescant, Tropical Sunset, Joseph's Coat,
and the lovely mini Over the Rainbow. There may be more.

Nice list. I have almost none of those, although I
had some and they didn't survive, perhaps because of
too much heat.

The great news: once they are in the ground for a few years
they are a lot stronger than we think. I have been out of
the country this month, and did not prune at all after
last summer. No deaths and very little if any canker. I will
have a closer look tomorrow.

I'm having a similar experience. I did lose 6 roses but
out of 150 I'm not really complaining. Most roses
have now been in the ground 3 to 7 years and hence
are well established.

Interesting passing observation: I have not yet sprayed,
and should have--but I have only seen a few aphids.

Same here, but my local population of Lady Bugs
and their larvae is astonishing. I haven't seen this
many around before. Maybe my rose garden is
providing them with enough food to hang around and
breed a lot. The few roses that got aphids early
on I dealt with by squirting them with a hose.

The single plant that the aphids are congregating on
is the sickest--White Lightnin,' which has obviously
suffered dieback of about half its canes. The buds were
so thick with aphids I actually hesitated before I
squished then was in a beeeeg hurry to wash off the
aphid juice. Eyyeuuu. But I wonder why the aphids would
be thicker on that plant than the others?

Good question. My Angel Face patio rose is the one
that seems to be the earliest and most aphids.

Happy Spring to all!

And to you, too.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 25-04-2005, 06:40 PM
JimS.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.8d99f5524773ce7f04513657d3e76e3c @1114209348.nulluser.com...
The winner is:

Distant Drums, the own-root planted two in a hole, beating the
grafted one which only has buds. Second is the potted Scentimental,
beating the one in the ground. A very close third is Mutabilis,
which is now a 10 ft X 10 ft round shrub.

Budding roses: Don Juan, Sombrueil, New Day, White Lightnin',
Margaret Merrill, All That Jazz, Happy Child, Arizona, Heart
O' Gold, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Abraham Darby, Granada,
Rio Samba, Radio Times, Christian Dior, Full Sail, Pat Austin,
Penelope, Golden Celebration, Tineke, Great Century, Europeana,
the raspbery-scented Sonia Rykiel, Touch of Class, Ink Spots,
Antigua, Mr. Lincoln, Tradescant, Tropical Sunset, Joseph's Coat,
and the lovely mini Over the Rainbow. There may be more.

I got my first full bloom this weekend. We're a couple of weeks ahead of
ourselves this year to our practically non-existent winter in Seattle this
year. Almost all of mine have buds now and I'm sure a bunch will pop before
the week is up.

I was shocked to see what was my first bloom-- Joseph's Coat. I really like
this rose and it has some beautiful colors, but it's close to being slowest
growing plant. Not exactly a huge grower, so it was quite a shock to see it
put out a beautiful, bright bloom already. The rest aren't far behind
either.

JimS.
Seattle

[IBC] BONSAI Digest - 27 Jul 2005 to 28 Jul 2005 (#2005-208) [email protected] Bonsai 0 29-07-2005 01:25 PM
First Bloom 2005 Starlord Gardening 0 24-03-2005 03:20 PM
First Blooms Michelle Gardening 2 21-03-2004 09:33 AM
Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms Greg Gardening 7 08-04-2003 04:44 AM
First Spring blooms marg Gardening 11 03-02-2003 03:11 AM