Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Torsten Brinch

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:57:19 -0600, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:
You don't seem to care what WTO things anyway Take those idle
acres and put them to something you need.

Sorry, we can't do it if WTO says it is wrong. Commitments, you know.

You don't seem to give a damn about living up WTO rulings on beef in for a
penny in for a pound.

Which WTO ruling are you thinking of?

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Jim Webster

"David G. Bell" wrote in message
.. .
On Saturday, in article

Well, I just have to grease the left ankle torsion actuator bushes on
this Gundam, stuff the blonde wig in the tumble drier, and check the
cockpit fan....

the only military system ever designed so that the pilot in his cockpit
could smile at his girl in the control tower as he took off.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Gordon Couger

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Gordon Couger wrote in message

If they don't feel they need farmers why are they subsiding them?

here you confuse the EU and UK. Whenever there is a voluntary scheme,
the UK does not pay out on it, if the EU allow an extra top up if a
national government deems it necessary, the UK government doesn't deem
it necessary.

Love them or loathe them, If it wasn't for the EU there probably would
not be organised agriculture in the UK any more, a handful of really big
cereal operations and a lot of part time "ranching" of cattle and sheep
at no input stocking rates.

I am confusing the two. So the UK doesn't contribute any to the farmer?

Half the beef in the US is rasied by the guy with a job in town and few head
at home. It is a real concern how to get him the better genetics that he
needs to move in the right direction.

No till has the potential to put farming in the same boat. I look at that
and think I could buy a old tractor and a planter and farm a couple of
quarters of cotton with a good scout and spray plane and make money at it
particularly if I put in a center pivot and drilled enough wells to get
water for it. Now that we have the boll weevil under control and BT cotton
lets us spray for insects with out having to continue to spray once a week
to keep the boll worm out if we kill the beneficial insects. It makes cotton
a new deal.

I could probably even hire the planting done. But that gets a bit dicey.
You gamble on someone being free when you need them and that is far from a
sure thing. I made a lot of nice money running tractors round the clock so I
could have some extra time to hire out to others at critical times.

Gordon

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Gordon Couger

wrote:
You don't seem to care what WTO things anyway Take those idle
acres and put them to something you need.

Sorry, we can't do it if WTO says it is wrong. Commitments, you know.

You don't seem to give a damn about living up WTO rulings on beef in for

penny in for a pound.

Which WTO ruling are you thinking of?

The one on US beef.

Gordon

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Torsten Brinch

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:52:41 -0600, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:
"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message

Which WTO ruling are you thinking of?

The one on US beef.

There is a ruling that the beef hormone ban must be based on a risk
assessment, if that is what you are thunking of -- but the ban is
rather obviously based on a risk assessment. Indeed, on the thread
*EU confirms growth hormones pose health risk to consumers*
we discussed the most recent EU risk assessment in support of the ban,
on sci.agriculture only six months ago.

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Jim Webster

[...]

the thing about the Common Agricultural Policy is that it is common and
the EU lays down regulations to ensure that it is stuck to. An example
is the "green currency". Basically pre euro, and for those countries not
in the euro zone, farm subsidies were/are paid in ecu/euro. As your
currency strengthens against the euro the amount of subsidy you farmers
get falls, as your currency weakens against the euro the amount farmers
get increases.
To stop countries running a weak currency and siphoning money off europe
into their agriculture the EU set up a system to ensure that at regular
intervals, or if currencies fluctuated outside certain limits, the
"green" currency was revalued meaning farmers got the same Euros as they
would have if their currency had remained static against the Euro.
Hence when the Pound crashed out of the ERM on black wednesday we did
OK, because we got more euros. Just briefly until the falling £ hit
another band and the green £ was revalued. When the £ goes up and is
strong against the Euro then the member state can pay money to make up
the difference so their farmers don't miss out.
The rules for weak currencies are statutory, countries have no choice.
The EU knows its member states and tries to put in rules to stop them
unfairly favouring their own nationals.
The rules for strong currencies aren't compulsory because the EU
couldn't believe that a member state would knowingly crucify it's own
industries.
Needless to say the UK government has paid only a proportion of the
money necessary to compensate for the strong currency, and calculations
show (you can get the figures of the statistics sections of the defra
website) that over a billion £ sterling are being sucked out of UK
agriculture every year. It is probable that already not paying this
money to UK agriculture has already covered the costs of BSE.

Half the beef in the US is rasied by the guy with a job in town and

few head
at home. It is a real concern how to get him the better genetics that

he
needs to move in the right direction.

we have smallholders and I don't think that there is any government
outreach to them. They can get drawn into the net of paperwork and form
filling but will probably not get much in the way of support payments.

[...]

round here we have a lot of contractors, more small farmers, farmers
sons or similar who have a tractor, slurry tanker, round baler and
wrapper, etc. Some will do mowing, ploughing etc. There are outfits who
can put a couple of silage teams into the field (self propelled
harvester, three tractors and trailers, a rake, two mowers and a loading
shovel for the pit) but these are the minority.

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Jim Webster

Michael Percy wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:07:26 +0000, David P wrote:
As things are getting a bit boring in here, perhaps we could extend
this discussion to include land tenure? I happen to know that

Torsten
has strongly held, if slightly wacky, views on the subject.

I believe I had noticed that. Pity he dropped out; I had planned on
asking him what a tenant farmer should have done once I was clear on
what his views on an owner-occupier was.

.. as if you did not look silly enough already .. lol

and your advice to the tenant farmer would have been what?

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Mike

Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Tim Lamb

In article , Torsten Brinch
writes
As things are getting a bit boring in here, perhaps we could extend this
discussion to include land tenure?

No, first things first, Tim.
First we must out what it is David P has misunderstood.

Ever the agile argufier:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Jane Gillett

In article ,
Gordon Couger wrote:
snip

Your governments are looking for was to produce less crops while paying
farmers more subsidy and importing more food. Most 3 graders can find the
flaw in that. If you are gong to pay the farmer get something you can use
out of him. You don't seem to care what WTO things anyway Take those idle
acres and put them to something you need.

It doesn't make any difference
what it cost you are going to pat the farmer one way or another.

I think the UK govt is trying to avoid doing that.

Maybe you should close him down

It's managing to do that.

and put is stuff on display

Yes. That's happening in many places. So long as it's not very modern ie
should be nostalgic.

and pay him a
curator

The number of farmers taking up the scheme will show whether they are
offering an acceptable amount. So far, AIUI, it's just equivalent to
"income forgone" - no explicit salary. What's "income forgone" in a farm
making a loss?

and by all you food from the low bidder.

One of our Govt Ministers, Lord Whitty, is already advocating that.
Cheers
Jane

Gordon

--

Jane G : : S Devon
Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Torsten Brinch

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 10:02:38 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In article , Torsten Brinch
writes
As things are getting a bit boring in here, perhaps we could extend this
discussion to include land tenure?

No, first things first, Tim.
First we must out what it is David P has misunderstood.

Ever the agile argufier:-)

I'm just a sailor of the floe.
Old 19-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Jim Webster

On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 07:12:41 +0000, Jim Webster wrote:
I believe I had noticed that. Pity he dropped out; I had planned

on
asking him what a tenant farmer should have done once I was clear

on
what his views on an owner-occupier was.

.. as if you did not look silly enough already .. lol

and your advice to the tenant farmer would have been what?

Jim, I do not think dealing with hypothetical questions is the right
thing now.