Old 27-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Marcus Williamson

Default WHEN TO CUT DOWN TREES

Is it real I heve to cut down the trees when the moon is going down?
In case of affermative answer, what is the why?

Yes, there is a connection.

When the moon is full, there is more sap in the wood. This may be
better or worse for building, depending on opinion...

Two quotes, for example:

"Workers who followed traditional methods cut the mesquite tree posts,
center beams, and the rest of the wood used for making the jacales
during a full moon. They believed any part of the tree cut during the
new crescent-shaped moon retained the sap and so attracted insects,
which left a powdery mess that rotted the wood. Houses made of such
wood would not last long."
http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/ra...chapter011.htm

"Napoleon I. directed that the felling of naval timber should take
place only from November 1 to March 15, and during the decrease of the
moon, on account of the rapid decay of timber, through the
fermentation of its sap, if cut at other seasons."
http://72.1911encyclopedia.org/D/DR/DRY_ROT.htm

Hope this helps.

regards
Marcus

Old 28-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Oz

Marcus Williamson writes

"Workers who followed traditional methods cut the mesquite tree posts,
center beams, and the rest of the wood used for making the jacales
during a full moon. They believed any part of the tree cut during the
new crescent-shaped moon retained the sap and so attracted insects,
which left a powdery mess that rotted the wood. Houses made of such
wood would not last long."
http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/ra...chapter011.htm

"Napoleon I. directed that the felling of naval timber should take
place only from November 1 to March 15, and during the decrease of the
moon, on account of the rapid decay of timber, through the
fermentation of its sap, if cut at other seasons."
http://72.1911encyclopedia.org/D/DR/DRY_ROT.htm

Hope this helps.

It suggests that it's not current practice.

Probably due to it being myth, although the cutting timber when the sap
is down (winter) is reasonable.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 28-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Gordon Couger

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Gordon Couger wrote in message

"Oz" wrote in message
news
Jim Webster writes

don't knock it, this afternoon as I fetched our house cow in, she

was
kicking up discernable dust!!
Not a lot admittedly but dust in February doesn't happen.

I will barter a week of sun shine per inch of rain this time of year

in
southwest Oklahoma and 2 week for west Texas. Fortunately we solved

most of
the rain problem in Texas at a rather steep price. Now if I can talk

my
brother into it in Oklahoma.

I can pump water but you can't cause dry weather.

there is a saying I cannot quite remember about the value of a peck of
March dust. Basically if you can get dust in march it means you have the
possibility of a decent seedbed, shortage of water is not even thought
of as a problem.

It's a lot cheaper to lose a crop to dry weather over here than it is to wet
weather. On my wife's place in west Texas the dry land cotton was dusted in.
For those of you that get rain regularly that is planted in dry ground and
wait for a rain to bring it up. When it got a shower to get it up at wind
evaporated the moisture before it could meet the moisture a few inches below
the surface and the cotton sprouted and died. I have had the happen a time
or two as well. It won't happen again on that place it will have the drip
irrigation installed it by the end of next week, if it doesn't rain.

It should take the yield from 300 pounds per acre to better than 2,000
pounds per acre.

Gordon

Old 28-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Gordon Couger

"Marcus Williamson" wrote in message

[...]

There are signs of the zodiac to do almost everything for those that believe
in them. It probably comes from the importance of keeping track of the moon
for planting seasons. Thirteen moons at the same phase is exactly one year
and is one way of keeping up with the seasons. The others rely on noting the
longest and shortest day but that works poorly in the tropics. There you
have to count moons or observe the stars. Counting moons is the simplest.

If you use the moon to keep track of the year the same day will fall on the
same phase of the moon and I think the signs of the zodiac should be the
same. I am not sure about the last part. But in farming planting, harvest
and a great many things happen every year about the same time so going by
the signs makes good sense using that calendar. It doesn't work with a 12
month calendar very well.

Gordon.

Old 28-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Jim Webster

[...]

funnily enough we have the phrase "puddled in" where things are sort of
wet and the seed bed isn't really good enough but you know fine well
that it isn't going to get any better.

It should take the yield from 300 pounds per acre to better than 2,000
pounds per acre.

Even here we had one chap who did a bit of irrigation, just to ensure
grass got the absolute optimum during April/May, and he showed an
economic return. Then the Environment agency started asking if he had an
abstraction licence and that would have made it uneconomic.
Your increase is impressive.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Gordon

Old 01-03-2003, 01:58 AM
Gordon Couger

[...]

It is easy to increase yields in 20 inch per year rainfall area. There is
not enough rain to interfere with the irrigation schedule. Actually yields
on drip cotton this year out there were up to 2,500 pound per acre but it
was a hot dry summer perfect for irrigated cotton.

Drip irrigation out yields conventional irrgation because they never allow
the soil to become water logged which slows down the growth of cotton a good
deal. All other method have to water log the surface of the soil to get the
water on. With cotton it is very important because it uses so much water and
the number of days to set fruit is limited to about 60 to 70 days in that
area. An early cool spell in the fall can cut yields a lot.

I flew out to that area one year in late November to look at cotton stripper
a fellow was thinking of buying and there was cotton that would make two
and three bales to the acre that didn't have an open boll on it because of
an early frost.

Gordon

Gordon

Old 03-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

at least it hasn't rained for over a week, which is pretty good for
february

I don't believe you.

The fog probably has the equivalent of 1" precipitation.

In a minute you'll be claiming to have seen the sun,
even if obscured by clouds ....