Old 25-07-2005, 04:12 AM
ed

Default Other Austin Gardening Forums?

Hello,

I have been on Usenet for about 10 years. I feel like the percent of
online people that use it or even know of its existence has been
steadily declining that whole time. So I was wondering if anyone knows
of another Austin gardening forum that is more in the "modern" style,
i.e. www based. I can't find anything through google.

There is a mirror of this group (hosted in the UK!?) he

https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/

and there is a general Texas group he

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/txgard/

The reason I am asking is that I wonder if I am missing info from the
contributions of many Austin gardeners simply because this media is
relatively obscure in comparison to the www.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ed.

Old 26-07-2005, 04:10 AM
jOhN

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22

and there is a general Texas group he

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/txgard/

The reason I am asking is that I wonder if I am missing info from the
contributions of many Austin gardeners simply because this media is
relatively obscure in comparison to the www.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ed.

Sadly, I agree that Usenet seems like a secret language to most people.
I'm trying to think who I regularly speak to that even has an idea what
I'm talking
about............................................. ....................
.................................................. ..................
still thinking.

I don't know of a web-based forum for Austin gardeners.
Old 26-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Danny

I monitor and read this group and the Texas gardenweb group mentioned below.
I post most of my questions over on the gardengroup as it seems to get more
"traffic."

Danny Hardesty

ups.com...

Old 27-07-2005, 02:45 AM
James Lee Johnson

"Danny" wrote:
I monitor and read this group and the Texas gardenweb group mentioned
below. I post most of my questions over on the gardengroup as it seems to
get more "traffic."

But is higher traffic necessarily the best criteria? After all, the scope
of that gardenweb forum is all of Texas, whereas the scope of
austin.gardening is Austin and USDA Zone 8. You might get fewer responses in
austin.gardening, but they are more likely to be for your zone.

Why not post your questions to both groups? It's not that much trouble, is
it? It's the monitoring of multiple places for answers that takes time. You
already do that.

jjhnsn

I'm not a Master Gardener, but I sleep with one.

Old 29-07-2005, 04:32 AM
ed

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Perhaps I should try to start an "Austin Gardening" page with a forum.
It would be trivial to set up. I just don't know if there would be any
interest. I don't want to further dilute the traffic. The only Austin
gardening specific site I can see is this one:

http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Aus.html

The guy who put it up seems to know his gardening, no doubt. The page
is a little quirky-looking, but seems to have lots of information. I'm
not sure how often it gets updated. Although I know I could make a
flashier website, I don't know if I could really provide any better
information to potential readers.

Something to ponder, I guess. I'll let you guys know if I set
something up and you can flame it to the ground. =)

Cheers,

Ed.

Old 30-07-2005, 09:28 PM
jOhN

ed wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Perhaps I should try to start an "Austin Gardening" page with a forum.
It would be trivial to set up. I just don't know if there would be any
interest. I don't want to further dilute the traffic. The only Austin
gardening specific site I can see is this one:

http://gardeninglaunchpad.com/Aus.html

The guy who put it up seems to know his gardening, no doubt. The page
is a little quirky-looking, but seems to have lots of information. I'm
not sure how often it gets updated. Although I know I could make a
flashier website, I don't know if I could really provide any better
information to potential readers.

Something to ponder, I guess. I'll let you guys know if I set
something up and you can flame it to the ground. =)

Cheers,

Ed.

How about just a forum that is linked from the site above?
Old 21-08-2005, 04:04 AM
Austin Longhorn

Ed,

Were you aware that folks can access usenet through Google Groups? Go
to groups.google.com and search for austin.gardening. There's also a
group on yahoo for texas gardening.