Old 31-08-2005, 01:06 AM
over_here

Default A/C condensate water for plants?

I've been collecting the water that drips from the window A/C in a
watering tin and using it on some outside plants.

Any reason this might be a bad idea? Seems like 'free' water to me, but
maybe it's a little 'off' for the plants...

Thanks
Old 31-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Victor Martinez

over_here wrote:
Any reason this might be a bad idea? Seems like 'free' water to me, but
maybe it's a little 'off' for the plants...

Not at all, it's good water.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 31-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Cindy

over_here wrote:
I've been collecting the water that drips from the window A/C in a
watering tin and using it on some outside plants.

Any reason this might be a bad idea? Seems like 'free' water to me,
but maybe it's a little 'off' for the plants...

Thanks

Nah...this time of year, plants better be happy with any water they get. I
have a root beer plant flourishing under my A/C drip that I didn't even
plant. I just set the pot there for awhile last summer to use the water
until I planted the plant, and it rooted down and there it is....
Of course rainwater is the best! I'm amazed every time it rains at how
fast things shoot up compared to watering with the hose. It's wonderful!

Old 31-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Robbin

Good for plants -- don't use it for fish -- they may not be happy with the
copper from the coils.

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
.. .

Old 31-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:33:54 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

over_here wrote:
I've been collecting the water that drips from the window A/C in a
watering tin and using it on some outside plants.

Of course rainwater is the best! I'm amazed every time it rains at how
fast things shoot up compared to watering with the hose. It's wonderful!

Since the condensate is water vapor removed from the interior air
circulating in your home, it can pick up contaminants in that air.
Fumes from cooking, pet dander, dust and similar contaminants. If you
are careful about what is going on inside your home, then A/C
condensate could be as clean as distilled water.

I have heard that the University of Texas campus has a big condensate
collection and reuse system. I collect mine in two barrels and use it
on plants like my wife's roses that don't like the high lime content
of Austin's tap water. Production rate varies with air temperature
and humidity but generally I can collect between 10 and 20 gallons a
day.

Rusty Mase
Austin, Texas

Old 31-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Cindy

snip

I have heard that the University of Texas campus has a big condensate
collection and reuse system. I collect mine in two barrels and use it
on plants like my wife's roses that don't like the high lime content
of Austin's tap water. Production rate varies with air temperature
and humidity but generally I can collect between 10 and 20 gallons a
day.

Holy cow! I better get a barrel or something....didn't realize that much
was going out there. I'd plant bog plants there, but then I'd have to water
all the time during the winter.

Old 13-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Lil' Dave

All the grass I've ever seen under a window AC seem to like the water coming
from it.
I would have some question if the drip pan had molds growing it though.