Old 14-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Andyd

Default RFI: Veggie gardening newbie has some basic questions

My wife would like for me to put in a spot for her to grow some
vegetables and fruit, and knowing nothing about this, I have some
basic questions.

1. We live in the Westlake area, with very little soil, so I will have
to put in a raised bed. How much soil should I have? My initial
thoughts are to put in an 8x16 foot area, using 6"x6"x8-foot treated
pine for the base, probably two high. This gives about 12 inches of
depth, assuming I might be able to dig down a little bit, I am only
looking at 15-18 inches max of soil. Is this enough? My wife has
mentioned tomatoes, okra, melons, including watermelons, and other
various things that she might like to grow. I have no idea at all
what these require soil and sun-wise, or even if they are growable
here in Austin. The area I have targeted will not get full sun all
day, but will get (after clearing out the last of the cedar) probably
full sun in the morning to mid-afternoon.

2. Any other suggestions for what to use to hold in the soil in a
raised bed? The 6x6x8-foot pieces are about $21 apiece, meaning I am
looking at $250 in wood alone for the base. Can one get those old RR
ties around here? I wanted wood, preferably cut, because of #3 below.

3. Securing the area. I know I will have to fence the area in, as the
deer are horrible around my house. I thought I'd put up a 6-foot
fence, using 2x4s bolted to the base. Will I have problems with birds
or other critters that will cause me to want to put something over the
top? My guess is no, but I thought I'd ask.

4. Anything else I need to consider as I plan this project? I hope to
be able to have enough cedar trunks to use that for the base, which
would save me a lit of money, but I am unsure if this will work.
We'll see.

Thanks in advance.

andyd
Old 15-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Lil' Dave

See reply inserted below:

"Andyd" wrote in message
news
[...]

'maters need lots of sun. Depth of soil is fine. Be sure you get topsoil,
not compost, not sandy loam, or any other sorry excuse for topsoil they sell
nowadays. If you live on a side of hill, correct the grade when laying your
timbers.
2. Any other suggestions for what to use to hold in the soil in a
raised bed? The 6x6x8-foot pieces are about $21 apiece, meaning I am
looking at $250 in wood alone for the base. Can one get those old RR
ties around here? I wanted wood, preferably cut, because of #3 below.

More and more difficult to find these timbers. You can stack landscape
timbers (cheap), and secure with a stake driven in the ground on each
outside of an end near the corner. Rebar will work but will rust out in a
few years. You can also shore up the outside with big rocks, which I'm sure
you have plenty. $250 should cover all the landscape timbers, fencing, and
a metal gate. You can also use the landscape timbers for vertical posts to
hold the fencing. Consider digging postholes, pouring concrete for the
corner posts, and gate posts. The long side of the fence may need
stretching (come-along).

If the timbers are very secure around the garden, no movement and level,
there's a way of making a fence out of 2X4s. Just cantilever the vertical
posts using 2X4s cut at a 45 degree angle. Use a longer 2X4 to tie all of
it together at the top. In this case the fence will be part of the garden
border. A gate will be difficult due to poor foundation mounting for posts.
Will be a bit flimsy, won't keep out cattle or goats. But the deer won't
try to bump their way in. Don't raise any corn though, they may in that
event.

3. Securing the area. I know I will have to fence the area in, as the
deer are horrible around my house. I thought I'd put up a 6-foot
fence, using 2x4s bolted to the base. Will I have problems with birds
or other critters that will cause me to want to put something over the
top? My guess is no, but I thought I'd ask.

A 5' high field fence will do the trick. Or 4' field fence with one strand
of barbed wire just below the top. Use a small wire pattern to keep out the
smaller varmints too, don't buy goat/cattle fencing. Though not stylish,
those twirly thingies that hang by a string and twist/untwist with the wind
seem to the birds away.

The fence does not have to run right at the perimeter of the garden, can be
bigger. Fencing comes in 100' and 330' rolls. The smaller rolls are more
expensive per foot.
Consider a gate to get in/out of the garden.

Unless you're raising chickens or other small animals, I wouldn't worry
about an overhead fence or cover (hawks).

4. Anything else I need to consider as I plan this project? I hope to
be able to have enough cedar trunks to use that for the base, which
would save me a lit of money, but I am unsure if this will work.

Its doable if stacked correctly and the stack secured from rolling or
buckling.