Old 09-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Basic Air Layering Questions .....

Greetings all;

As I sit here watching the snow slowly melt in my back yard, I'm considering
trying my hand at air-layering later this spring.

I have a number of good donor trees. A great Acer palmatum "Bloodgood", a
crab apple, and a weeping cherry.

Basic questions ..... When performing an air-layer should one leave the
entire branch in-place during the root development process, or should it be
cut back to a more reasonable length ? Should I wait for the roots to appear
(end of the growing season) before shortening the branch and cutting it from
the donor tree?

I'm not certain what role existing leaves play during root development. If I
chop the branch back prior to the appearance of roots, I assume there'll be
less leaves, less need for roots, and therefore the roots will grow slower.
(Newbie assumption !!)

All comments greatly appreciated.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 7

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Mark Hill

Thanks Jim

That was my assumption .... but I've been known to be wrong before !!
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I have a Bloodgood covered with great
looking potential air-layers, but the branches are 6 or 8 feet long with
hundreds if not thousands, of dormant buds.
Logic told me the more leaves the better, but my logic often fails me.

I look forward to air-layering a dozen or more Bloodgoods and Prunus in a
couple of months.
I plan on letting them produce roots until next fall, then I'll remove them
from the donor tree, cut them back to a reasonable length (foot or so), and
stick them into large pots in my cold room for the winter.

Sound reasonable ?

Mark Hill

Old 15-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Thanks Jim

During the past year I've read all of Brent's collection of

informative
write-ups, including Andy Walsh's discussions regarding

air-layering, in
addition to Andy's articles in the ABS Journal. I've also

researched
air-layering in our archives (thanks Carl) and visited the U of

Florida's
Cooperative Extension site and read their entire collection of

articles
regarding propagation. I've also read dozens of books about the

air-layering
process and still haven't been able to answer my original

question which was
..... how long (in length) should the donor branch be

throughout the summer
months, during the root development process ????? and .......

are more
leaves beneficial to root development while it's still attached

to the donor
tree ??

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Basic Air Layering Questions ..... EESiFlo North America Bonsai 0 09-02-2004 05:54 PM
[IBC] Cuttings (was: [IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua) Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 28-06-2003 11:08 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM