Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 AM
T.B.

Default help identifying bird

i have recently had a very beautiful bird visiting our bird feeder here in
Austin. I would like to find an online source that would help me ID this
bird. anyone have any good links with pictures of birds in Central Texas?

the bird looks sort of like a Cardinal, except for the fact that it is more
orange than red, and a bit smaller. It has a black patch around it's beak,
and sort of a mohawk on it's head. anyone have an idea what it is?

TB in Austin

Old 08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.B.
i have recently had a very beautiful bird visiting our bird feeder here in
Austin. I would like to find an online source that would help me ID this
bird. anyone have any good links with pictures of birds in Central Texas?

the bird looks sort of like a Cardinal, except for the fact that it is more
orange than red, and a bit smaller. It has a black patch around it's beak,
and sort of a mohawk on it's head. anyone have an idea what it is?

TB in Austin
Hi TB
Just happened to notice your post - can't ID your bird myself (I don't know American birds) but you might find this site helpful:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/

All the best
Mark
Old 08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Victor Martinez

T.B. wrote:
the bird looks sort of like a Cardinal, except for the fact that it is more
orange than red, and a bit smaller. It has a black patch around it's beak,
and sort of a mohawk on it's head. anyone have an idea what it is?

Perhaps a juvenile cardinal?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 08-11-2005, 11:30 PM
T.B.

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
T.B. wrote:
the bird looks sort of like a Cardinal, except for the fact that it is

more
orange than red, and a bit smaller. It has a black patch around it's

beak,
and sort of a mohawk on it's head. anyone have an idea what it is?

Perhaps a juvenile cardinal?

--

it is most definitely a cardinal.
here is a picture that is almost identical to the bird I have been seeing:

Old 09-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Kathleen

i have recently had a very beautiful bird visiting our bird feeder here in
Austin. I would like to find an online source that would help me ID this
bird. anyone have any good links with pictures of birds in Central Texas?

the bird looks sort of like a Cardinal, except for the fact that it is

more
orange than red, and a bit smaller. It has a black patch around it's

beak,
and sort of a mohawk on it's head. anyone have an idea what it is?

TB in Austin

It's a female cardinal.
I'm looking in my American Bird Conservancy's Field Guide
Female olive-brown with red tinges
The picture is just like you describe, pale orange with browner wings, black
around the bill and eyes with the same prominent red crest on the head.

I looked online briefly:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/program...Northern_Cardi
nal.html
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 09-11-2005, 04:57 PM
ie

Darn, I was going to say for cedar waxwing....

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cedarwaxwing.htm

Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Victor Martinez

ie wrote:
Darn, I was going to say for cedar waxwing....

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cedarwaxwing.htm

Those are some of the most beautiful birds our garden atracts.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 PM
ie

we just moved and I need to do some 'scaping. What would you recommend for
some bushes/shrubs I could plant near windows to attract them. My cats and
I both love them. Just to look at, of course--the cats don't go out, but I
think they should still be able to look ;-)

Old 14-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Victor Martinez

ie wrote:
we just moved and I need to do some 'scaping. What would you recommend for
some bushes/shrubs I could plant near windows to attract them. My cats and
I both love them. Just to look at, of course--the cats don't go out, but I
think they should still be able to look ;-)

Hollies produce berries that attract many species of birds and many are
native to Central Texas. Possumhaw hollies for example...
Our cats also get to look at the birds from the safety of their enclosure.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 15-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Jangchub

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:45:24 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

ie wrote:
Darn, I was going to say for cedar waxwing....

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cedarwaxwing.htm

Those are some of the most beautiful birds our garden atracts.

I agree. Every year they come through when the berries on the native
holly shrubs and trees. They come to the yard in piles and there is
usually a cacaphony of movement in those trees till every berry is
gone. There is nothing like a flock of them circling the garden
looking for their favorite berries, which also include (unfortunately)
ligustrum.

Victoria