Old 24-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Valkyrie

Default What is this shrub?

"animaux" wrote in message
Anyone know what it is?

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/ne...n/Page_1x.html

Thanks, V

Found a pretty good picture of the suggested Buckeye, see what you think.
http://www.springholler.net/plant_photo.asp?id=113

Val

Old 24-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Dewitt

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:10:41 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:31:42 GMT, Celeste Evans wrote:

Anyone know what it is?

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/ne...n/Page_1x.html

Thanks, V

Looks an awful lot like a mexican buckeye but mine has yellow foliage
in the fall. But mine is blooming now also.

Cea

Ah, I will look it up and see. It wasn't labeled. The red foliage may have been due
to neglect and there were sparse few, here and there. It's in the ground, now.

Yes, it is a Mexican buckeye. I just pulled a flower off mine to
compare to your picture to make sure. The emerging foliage is right
as well.

deg
Old 24-03-2003, 09:08 PM
animaux

Yes, thanks to all.

It's definitely a Mexican buckeye. Beautiful.

Old 28-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Terry Horton

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:13:21 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Yes, thanks to all.

It's definitely a Mexican buckeye. Beautiful.

I planted a 1-gal. by the driveway in a dry corner the sprinkler
system didn't reach. Figured to train it as a tree. But the deer
nipped it and the neighbors on that side installed their own
sprinklers. Two years later that little stick of a plant had become a
massive shrub, so big I had to take it out because we couldn't see
past it to pull into the street. Best foliage/dollar ratio I've ever
had. :-)

They're easily grown from seed, though the fruit is so interesting in
winter you won't want to pick one.
Old 28-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Brian Clifton

I was about to plant a beautiful Mexican Buckeye in my backyard, until I
found out that the seed pods are dangerous for little kids to eat...

oh well, time to go to the next tree/shrub on the list!

Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 PM
animaux

So are poinsettia's, tomato leaves, oleander, mesquite (if not cooked) and a
host of thousands of plants, many of which I'll guess you already have.

Children should be watched diligently when they are very little and taught from
the start never to eat plants unless mom or dad gives them to them to eat. I
knew from a very young age never to eat berries of any kind.

Eliminating a shrub or tree because it's poisonous is not all that good a reason
*IMO.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:46:55 GMT, "Brian Clifton" wrote:

I was about to plant a beautiful Mexican Buckeye in my backyard, until I
found out that the seed pods are dangerous for little kids to eat...

oh well, time to go to the next tree/shrub on the list!

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, thanks to all.

It's definitely a Mexican buckeye. Beautiful.

Yes, it is a Mexican buckeye. I just pulled a flower off mine to
compare to your picture to make sure. The emerging foliage is right
as well.

deg

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM