Old 04-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Steve Ravet

Default what's on my oak?

There were a few of these last year, but it's covered this year. The
leaves are covered with black powder also, some kind of
pollen/spore/??? This is my son's sapling, he grew it from an acorn.
Do I need to do anything with it?

thanks,

--steve

ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/oak.jpg
Old 04-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Terry Horton

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:07:20 GMT, Steve Ravet
wrote:

There were a few of these last year, but it's covered this year. The
leaves are covered with black powder also, some kind of
pollen/spore/??? This is my son's sapling, he grew it from an acorn.
Do I need to do anything with it?

thanks,

--steve

ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/oak.jpg

The black lumps are aphids, a pretty bad infestation from the looks of
it. The black powder on the leaves is sooty mold, growing on the
sugary excretia of the aphids.

In a case this bad I'd reach for "neem oil" to kill the aphids
quickly. The sooty mold should go away with the removal of the
aphids, or treat it directly with potassium carbonate. Once the aphid
population is reduced you could apply a biological control like
lacewings or ladybugs to keep the population in check. Check the
Natural Gardener for predatory insects and the other controls as well.
Or Lowes for all but the bugs

I'd foliar feed the tree with seaweed, make sure its well mulched and
watered.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Steve Ravet

wrote:
There were a few of these last year, but it's covered this year. The
leaves are covered with black powder also, some kind of
pollen/spore/??? This is my son's sapling, he grew it from an acorn.
Do I need to do anything with it?

thanks,

--steve

ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/oak.jpg

The black lumps are aphids, a pretty bad infestation from the looks of
it. The black powder on the leaves is sooty mold, growing on the
sugary excretia of the aphids.

Aphids? I never would have guessed that. Thanks for the help, I can
always count on austin.gardening.

--steve

[IBC] oak in a bad situation Colin Horn Bonsai 3 28-05-2003 12:56 AM
[IBC] Removing Oak Taproots was [IBC] Starting Seeds Brent Walston Bonsai 6 13-05-2003 07:20 PM
Oak root fungus? Susan Solomon Roses 1 20-02-2003 06:03 PM
[IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death) David J. Bockman Bonsai 7 01-02-2003 01:18 PM
N.Cal: County pushes for collective voice on sudden oak death Lion Kuntz alt.forestry 0 24-11-2002 06:02 PM