Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Karen Kay

Default Wildflower ID?

I have a bunch of these all over, with lovely purple-pink blossoms.
What are they? My wild garlic is blooming, too.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

Karen Kay wrote in
0:
I have a bunch of these all over, with lovely purple-pink
blossoms. What are they? My wild garlic is blooming, too.

Time to go to sleep! I forgot to include the link:
http://www.rahul.net/karen/plant.png

Thanks for your help.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Steve Wertz

Karen Kay wrote:

Karen Kay wrote in
0:
I have a bunch of these all over, with lovely purple-pink
blossoms. What are they? My wild garlic is blooming, too.

Time to go to sleep! I forgot to include the link:
http://www.rahul.net/karen/plant.png

Red clover?

-sw
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 05:52:12 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

Karen Kay wrote in
50:
I have a bunch of these all over, with lovely purple-pink
blossoms. What are they? My wild garlic is blooming, too.

Time to go to sleep! I forgot to include the link:
http://www.rahul.net/karen/plant.png

Thanks for your help.

_Oxalis drummondii_, a native wood-sorrel. Delicate and tough as
nails.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

"Terry Horton" wrote in message
| On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 05:52:12 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:
|
| Karen Kay wrote in
| 50:
| I have a bunch of these all over, with lovely purple-pink
| blossoms. What are they? My wild garlic is blooming, too.
|
| Time to go to sleep! I forgot to include the link:
| http://www.rahul.net/karen/plant.png
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| _Oxalis drummondii_, a native wood-sorrel. Delicate and tough as
| nails.

And a good old-fashioned garden plant. They'll grow in the shade. They
die back when it's hot, after blooming in the spring, and then return
again about this time of year. You'll see similar plants with yellow
flowers--those are also a form of oxalis, and really quite pretty, but
most people regard the yellow sorrel as weeds. They always die back in
the heat as well.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

"Texensis" wrote in
:
"Terry Horton" wrote in message
| _Oxalis drummondii_, a native wood-sorrel. Delicate and tough
| as nails.

Thanks. I was guessing some kind of oxalis, but wasn't sure.

And a good old-fashioned garden plant. They'll grow in the
shade. They die back when it's hot, after blooming in the
spring, and then return again about this time of year. You'll
see similar plants with yellow flowers--those are also a form of
oxalis, and really quite pretty, but most people regard the
yellow sorrel as weeds. They always die back in the heat as
well.

There are advantages to not mowing your lawn.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

"Karen Kay" wrote in message
0...
| "Texensis" wrote in
| :
| "Terry Horton" wrote in message
| | _Oxalis drummondii_, a native wood-sorrel. Delicate and tough
| | as nails.
|
| Thanks. I was guessing some kind of oxalis, but wasn't sure.
|
| And a good old-fashioned garden plant. They'll grow in the
| shade. They die back when it's hot, after blooming in the
| spring, and then return again about this time of year. You'll
| see similar plants with yellow flowers--those are also a form of
| oxalis, and really quite pretty, but most people regard the
| yellow sorrel as weeds. They always die back in the heat as
| well.
|
| There are advantages to not mowing your lawn.
| --
| Karen

No kidding! Since pink oxalis doesn't move much (unless squirrels have
been at work), where they are located usually will tell you something
about a yard's original layout.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

"Texensis" wrote in
:
"Karen Kay" wrote in message
0...
| There are advantages to not mowing your lawn.

No kidding! Since pink oxalis doesn't move much (unless
squirrels have been at work), where they are located usually
will tell you something about a yard's original layout.

What do you mean? I know that it's spread a lot from last year, in
fact--or maybe it's just showing more, because of all the rain. But
I don't understand what it would tell me about the yard.

I don't know if any of my wildflowers were planted or random. The
woman who built these gardens seems to me to have been more a
formal garden person than a wildflower person, but I have great
wildflowers.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

"Karen Kay" wrote in message
0...
| "Texensis" wrote in
| :
| "Karen Kay" wrote in message
| 0...
| | There are advantages to not mowing your lawn.
|
| No kidding! Since pink oxalis doesn't move much (unless
| squirrels have been at work), where they are located usually
| will tell you something about a yard's original layout.
|
| What do you mean? I know that it's spread a lot from last year, in
| fact--or maybe it's just showing more, because of all the rain. But
| I don't understand what it would tell me about the yard.
|
| I don't know if any of my wildflowers were planted or random. The
| woman who built these gardens seems to me to have been more a
| formal garden person than a wildflower person, but I have great
| wildflowers.
| --
| Karen

Pink oxalis will divide and grow where it is (get thicker to the point
where you may want to move it), but generally someone has planted it
(or a squirrel has) where you find it. But for squirrels, its location
isn't happenstance and is often of long standing. I suppose that it's
in commerce somewhere. People I know obtain it either from a friend
who has an old garden, as a pass-along plant, or find it already
existing in their yard. No matter how long it has been there, usually
it has been deliberately planted where you find it. In older gardens
you'll notice that people seem often to have planted it to encircle
the trunk of a live oak, e.g. Where it is will tell you something
about how the ground was laid out in the past and what has grown up
since around it. What I've noticed is that the oxalis in a less
favorable location will go dormant and not appear at all sometimes for
a year or two, but then in a year of rain it will reappear, exactly
where it has always been.

Wildflower ID? cupra United Kingdom 35 04-04-2009 10:09 PM
Planting wildflower seeds animaux Texas 9 03-11-2003 03:02 AM
Spring Plant Sale and Gardening Festival at the Wildflower Center Jason Spangler Texas 0 03-04-2003 05:20 AM
Arizona: wildflower vs weed ID help please Tsu Dho Nimh Gardening 0 28-03-2003 03:08 AM
Wildflower Identification Needed Inyo Gardening 3 29-01-2003 08:01 PM