Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin

Default Thrumbergia

does anyone know anything about this vine? I was able to get a start of it
at the Renaissance Festival this weekend. It is beautiful and growing every
were out there. But I can't find anything on its care. Only that it is from
Hawaii.
Thanks,
Lorraine

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

"Brian Martin" wrote in message
| does anyone know anything about this vine? I was able to get a start
of it
| at the Renaissance Festival this weekend. It is beautiful and
growing every
| were out there. But I can't find anything on its care. Only that it
is from
| Hawaii.
| Thanks,
| Lorraine

You'll hear people cann thunbergia "clockvine" sometimes. I've seen it
in three varieties: orange-y yellow with black center eye, white with
black center eye, and orange-y yellow with green center eye. It likes
the sun and dislikes the cold weather. It will hold it's own during
the summer with a little watering, but it won't bloom much, if at all.
I think it kills back entirely over the winter. But it self-sows very
easily with no human intervention. It twines, and we grow it on rabhit
fencing and on nylon peanet. Right now, since it's been cooler, it has
begun blooming again.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

You were spelling it incorrectly, maybe that's why you didn't find anything?

http://www.botany.com/thunbergia.html

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
~nana~

Hi---- There is a thrumbergia, but, all I can find is a picture, no
info. Anita
http://community9.webshots.com/album/621587

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

wrote:

does anyone know anything about this vine? I was able to get a start of it
at the Renaissance Festival this weekend. It is beautiful and growing every
were out there. But I can't find anything on its care. Only that it is from
Hawaii.
Thanks,
Lorraine

There's no native Hawaiian Thunbergia, though many species will and do
grow there (often as noxious weeds). Count on yours liking neutral to
slightly acidic soil. Cuttings should be rooted and overwintered
indoors.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:18:10 -0600 (CST), (~nana~)
wrote:

Hi---- There is a thrumbergia, but, all I can find is a picture, no
info. Anita
http://community9.webshots.com/album/621587

But the floral structure screams Thunbergia.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM

Thumbergia is sometimes called "creeping zinnia". It has small yellow
flowers and will get about 3 or 4 foot ling. It's great for hanging
baskets.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM

I grew thunbergia its a weed and I thinkits in the blackeyed susan
family. As far as takeing care of it just ignore it and it will thrive,
it a vine and vines are the easiest things to grow.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin

Yeah that is the same one I found!
Pretty isn't it!
Lorraine

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin

That isn't it I email the fest and that is the way they spelled it...not
saying that makes there spelling right either!ha! The web page ~nana~ found
it it...
here it the link...
http://community9.webshots.com/album/621587

Thanks for the other link...I was just setting down to look that plant
up!ha! A friend was asking me if I wanted a start and I had no ideal what it
was!
Lorraine

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin

Okay...let me take it back about the spelling...I went and looked up
Clockvine like Texensis said and it comes up to this one
http://community9.webshots.com/photo...8867FTJdMddDkO

For web shots. I also found this info...
Thunbergia a.k.a. Clockvine There are several versions of this plant. The
large vining plant with blue blooms is botanically Thunbergia grandiflora.
It can seem to grow on forever, has large glossy leaves and blooms off and
on all season. The flowers are in clusters that can be a foot or more long
with each blue and white, deep throated flower measuring 2-3 inches across.
The shrubby plant is T. erecta. It has stiff, upright branching and bears
its morning glory-like blue and white blooms along the stems. These plants
are both relatives of the annual vine commonly known as Black-Eyed Susan
Vine, T. alata.

Thanks EVERYONE! Ya'll really helped...as always!Lorraine~

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin

Thank you!!! You info really connected me to the sites I needed!
Lorraine

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Brian Martin

Yeah...it grow great out at the Renaissance...were did you get yours...can
you order them? I pull a root before I left...but I would like to have a
full plant!ha! Oh...and shade or sun? Theirs was in the shade...growing up
the trees.
Thanks,
Lorraine

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

"Brian Martin" wrote in message
| Yeah...it grow great out at the Renaissance...were did you get
yours...can
| you order them? I pull a root before I left...but I would like to
have a
| full plant!ha! Oh...and shade or sun? Theirs was in the
shade...growing up
| the trees.
| Thanks,
| Lorraine

It prefers sun but will take partial shade. It will not stand the heat
of summer itself. It will survive it, but not bloom through it. Right
now it's blooming. Park Seed has seeds for this, as well as for many
other southern favorites (this is a long link--search on thunbergia,
black eyed susan):
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/comme...o/psProduct2.d
2w/report?UNID=32316:38:40.016&itemnum=1957
If you like thunbergia you may want to try cypress vine (a/k/a
cardinal climber), an ipomoea/relative of morning glories, with pretty
cut leaves and small, red trumpet-shaped flowers attractive to
hummingbirds (also returning to bloom now that it's cooler). Cypress
vine is usually to be found on seed-packet racks around town, which
isn't the case with clockvine.