Old 07-03-2006, 03:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
Linda

Default identify this please

Saw this bush/tree(?) flowering last year and went up to the edge of
their yard and took pictures. From digging around in books I think this
is caesalpinia puleherrima - Pride of Barbados. Is that correct? It
sure is gorgeous. Is there anything I need to know about it? Is it an
invasive pest, or is it hard to grow? Thanks in advance.

http://community.webtv.net/lkelli/PI...s/importD1.jpg

Linda

Old 07-03-2006, 03:40 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

It likes it hot and dry. It is pest free and does very well in poor
soil. I save my seeds every year and have tons and tons of seeds. It
also comes in a nice yellow variety. Yes, it is Pride of Barbados aka
Texas bird of paradise.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 AM posted to austin.gardening
Linda

THANKS TO ALL for your info. Regarding the seeds...how do you get them
to grow? I got seeds and planted them in little containters three weeks
ago and...nada...What did I do wrong?

Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

Do you have them inside or outside. They will need to be kept warm to
germinate, I would guess 70 to 80 degrees as a minimum. Once they start
blooming in everyone's landscape they will be available in the box stores at
a reasonable price. If you go from seeds it may take a couple years to get
a plant of any size. Even with one you buy it will not be very big the
first year.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 AM posted to austin.gardening
Linda

Okay. I guess I planted them too soon; my house is cooler - around 70
degrees, so guess I will wait & look for plants ;-)

Old 08-03-2006, 03:22 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

I believe he was talking about soil temperatures. I assure you the
soil is not 70 degrees yet. I use a heating cable under my flats to
warm the soil.