Old 22-03-2006, 09:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Alternative Lawn

Hello. I would like to grow a moss lawn or a clover lawn. Does anyone
have any experience or ideas with this? Also, is there a good place in
town to buy clover seeds? Thank you.

Luther

Old 23-03-2006, 05:23 AM posted to austin.gardening

I'm in Austin, TX.........

Old 23-03-2006, 04:08 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

The point is if you look around you don't see many moss or clover lawns in
Austin. Best to stick with something that is better adapted to the area.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in Austin, TX.........

Old 24-03-2006, 04:48 AM posted to austin.gardening

Well I see clovers growing all over the place. I think clovers would
grow much better than grass would in my yard.

Cliff wrote:
The point is if you look around you don't see many moss or clover lawns in
Austin. Best to stick with something that is better adapted to the area.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in Austin, TX.........

Old 01-04-2006, 03:08 AM posted to austin.gardening
George.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I would like to grow a moss lawn or a clover lawn. Does anyone
have any experience or ideas with this? Also, is there a good place in
town to buy clover seeds? Thank you.

I can tell you about clover I have in my lawn but that is New Zealand and I
haven't a clue how it would do in Texas. It grows like buggery here, it
seems to appear as magic in grass without you even needing to do anything.
Many lawn seed mixes contain clover. It can take over a lawn if conditions
are right. I mowed my lawn down to number 2 setting today and cut off alot
of the clover at the stalk however I imagine it will come back ok. Clover is
very good at gathering nitrogen from the air and fixing it into the soil.
Our agriculture is very dependant on it. Clovers also produce a nice honey.
It grows well in our temperate moist climate alongside cool season grasses
like fescues, ryes and brown top. I guess these grases would be similar to
your kentucky bluegrass.

rob