Old 31-03-2006, 04:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

Default Plant Peace Lily outside?

We received a Peace Lily last summer and it's doing well as a house plant,
but I was thinking of planting it outside in a shady spot in the yard.
(Cedar Park).

I read online one or two incidences of people planting them outside in
colder climates and having them freeze back in winter, but grow again in the
spring. It seems to me that they could grow decently well in this area.

Has anyone in this group planted a Peace Lily outside? If so, what was your
experience?

Teri

Old 31-03-2006, 09:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

I am in North San Antonio, lower edge of zone 8. I have had luck splitting
up the plants when they get crowed in the pot and putting some in the
ground. I have had them come back after mild winters. But I have a deer
problem and they didn't come back from that.

Old 31-03-2006, 09:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cliff" wrote:

I am in North San Antonio, lower edge of zone 8. I have had luck splitting
up the plants when they get crowed in the pot and putting some in the
ground. I have had them come back after mild winters. But I have a deer
problem and they didn't come back from that.

I've heard they do very well in ponds as a bare root or submerged border
plant.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm assuming you planted in a predominately shadey area. Can you recall what
it's water requirments were - particularly in the heat of summer?

TR

. com...

Old 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Just plant the whole pot in the ground and bring it up when it
freezes. They flower better when they're root bound, so keeping it in
the container is good.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

You are correct, shady is best. I think they are fairly tolerant of neglect
once established. They will show you when they need water and seem to
recover quickly if forgotten, at least that is what happens here in the
house. When you discover one that is all limp and put it in the sink and
give it a good soaking it springs right back. Good Luck

"TLR" wrote in message
. net...
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm assuming you planted in a predominately shadey area. Can you recall
what it's water requirments were - particularly in the heat of summer?

TR

. com...

"TLR" wrote in message
We received a Peace Lily last summer and it's doing well as a house
plant, but I was thinking of planting it outside in a shady spot in the
yard. (Cedar Park).

I read online one or two incidences of people planting them outside in
colder climates and having them freeze back in winter, but grow again in
the spring. It seems to me that they could grow decently well in this
area.

Has anyone in this group planted a Peace Lily outside? If so, what was
your experience?

Teri

Tropical Peace Lily in ponds Reel McKoi Ponds 2 09-03-2007 02:46 AM
Spathiphyllum, Peace Lily tvksi Gardening 13 03-11-2005 11:14 PM
Peace Lily advice Angela United Kingdom 5 05-02-2004 06:45 PM
Peace Lily Bill D Gardening 1 27-04-2003 10:44 PM
Peace Lily joe Ponds 13 27-02-2003 06:10 PM