Old 07-06-2006, 06:03 AM posted to austin.gardening
john

Default RIP Howard's Nursery

I'm late as usual to such news, but I learned today that Howard's
Nursery (Koenig @ Ave. G or such) is fixing to close soon. Property for
sale and all.

I understand that the quonset hut hangar at the site was home to the
Austin airport after Penn Field. In any case, Howard's has been an
Austin institution for some time. Sorry to see them pass on...
Old 07-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
I'm late as usual to such news, but I learned today that Howard's
Nursery (Koenig @ Ave. G or such) is fixing to close soon. Property for
sale and all.

I understand that the quonset hut hangar at the site was home to the
Austin airport after Penn Field. In any case, Howard's has been an
Austin institution for some time. Sorry to see them pass on...
That is sad. I have been in this area all my life and Howards is an institution.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
pistor

john wrote:
Austin airport after Penn Field. In any case, Howard's has been an
Austin institution for some time. Sorry to see them pass on...

Was it any good? I must admit I never went there. Our regular nurseries
are The Natural Gardener, Barton Springs, Gardens, and Shoal Creek
(formerly Park Place, it's getting better every day!).

Victor

Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On 12 Jun 2006 09:12:07 -0700, "pistor" wrote:

john wrote:
Austin airport after Penn Field. In any case, Howard's has been an
Austin institution for some time. Sorry to see them pass on...

Was it any good? I must admit I never went there. Our regular nurseries
are The Natural Gardener, Barton Springs, Gardens, and Shoal Creek
(formerly Park Place, it's getting better every day!).

Victor

Good to hear Park Place is getting better because the sista's who ran
the joint had poles up their asses.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:47 PM posted to austin.gardening
pistor

Jangchub wrote:
Good to hear Park Place is getting better because the sista's who ran
the joint had poles up their asses.

No kidding... It is going to be one of Austin's best if they keep up
the good work. And I can walk to it... if it's not too hot.

Victor

Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On 12 Jun 2006 12:47:23 -0700, "pistor" wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
Good to hear Park Place is getting better because the sista's who ran
the joint had poles up their asses.

No kidding... It is going to be one of Austin's best if they keep up
the good work. And I can walk to it... if it's not too hot.

Victor

I just didn't like those guys. Bad vibes.

We almost bought a house in that area, but were concerned about the
road noise from Mopac. We still may sell this giant house and go
smaller in an older neighborhood. Moving here from New York the one
thing I miss is dirt! All the new construction is so homogenated
around here.
Old 13-06-2006, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
God Bless Texas

pistor wrote:
john wrote:

Austin airport after Penn Field. In any case, Howard's has been an
Austin institution for some time. Sorry to see them pass on...

Was it any good? I must admit I never went there. Our regular nurseries
are The Natural Gardener, Barton Springs, Gardens, and Shoal Creek
(formerly Park Place, it's getting better every day!).

Victor

Howard Nursery (*not* Howard's) is one of the best nurseries in the
City, and has been for a long time.

The only problem we really ever had with them was that sometimes their
tomatoes were mis-labeled . . . a real old-Austin family-run business.

I'd guess they've gotten tired of the construction, higher-speed traffic
in front of their shop, etc.

But I will try to get by and find out what plans they may have to
re-open in a better location.