Old 13-08-2006, 08:16 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Fragrant ground cover between pavers

I just finished laying a limestone flag patio in the backyard.

This was done in sand; I excavated 8" down, put down a 6 mil plastic
barrier, three inches of crushed gravel and another three inches of sand
as a base for the flagstones. More sand was swept on top as filler.
It's quite attractive if I do say so myself! G

I'm looking for some sort of creeping ground cover that will establish
itself between the flagstones. In no particular order I'd like
something fragrant (either foliage or flowers), reasonably drouth and
winter hardy, will not object to a high sand and therefore rapid
draining substrate, low maintenance, ability to endure light foot
traffic, and ability to tolerate a couple of hours of full sun in the
later afternoon but dappled sun / shade during the rest of the day.

I'd appreciate any ideas, suggestions and sources.

Thanks,
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX
Old 13-08-2006, 08:27 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
harriswest wrote:

[...]

Creeping Thyme is nice. :-)

Or chocolate mint if you can get it to live. I've had trouble with it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 13-08-2006, 08:44 PM posted to austin.gardening

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
harriswest wrote:

[...]

I think that chocolate mint might be too much of a water hog. I've got
some in a pot and it has a fit if it doesn't get regular water at least
every other day; every day if it's really hot and dry. I also think
it's a fairly heavy nitrogen feeder as well. Trouble is a good
description - it grows with plenty of attention but I can't say that it
really thrives. Not like the various basils - step well back when you
plant them or they'll hit you in the eye as they come up! G

Thanks for the suggestion on the creeping thyme. I'll see what else
folks chime in with as well.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX
Old 13-08-2006, 08:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
harriswest wrote:

I think that chocolate mint might be too much of a water hog. I've got
some in a pot and it has a fit if it doesn't get regular water at least
every other day; every day if it's really hot and dry. I also think
it's a fairly heavy nitrogen feeder as well. Trouble is a good
description - it grows with plenty of attention but I can't say that it
really thrives.

Hm, that might be my problem then, thanks. ;-)
Spearmint and Lemon balm usually don't need much attention... but those
would be too big for what you want. G

Not like the various basils - step well back when you
plant them or they'll hit you in the eye as they come up! G

But Basil is an annual......

Thanks for the suggestion on the creeping thyme. I'll see what else
folks chime in with as well.
--
Mike Harris

Prostrate rosemary might work, but I'm not sure how tall it gets.
I've not grown it.

Cheers!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 13-08-2006, 09:00 PM posted to austin.gardening

Sure, you can use Corsican mint. You will have to water it till it
develops a firm hold, so for the first season you'd have to water. It
self sows and is extremely fragrant, low growing with a pretty little
flower.

http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...requienii.html