Old 16-08-2006, 03:17 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default What's eating my schefflera

I have it on the back porch. Half-leaves are chewed out. Whatever it is
left what appears to be dark brown droppings about the size of a small,
skinny moth. I didn't see any critters on it. Any ideas?

Sandra Jackson
Portrait Artist
http://www.austinartist.net

Old 16-08-2006, 04:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Termite advice

Hi group!

A couple months back, I found termites under some thin hardboard I put down
to kill some grass alongside the house where I was planning to erect a
potting table.

I quickly picked that up and sent it to the trash, but later found that the
termites had migrated to the wood of my raised herb bed, also next to the
house. (It's made out of 2 x 12 planks and in retrospect, while I didn't
have any trouble for a couple of years, I see now that was exactly the wrong
thing to do. But no lectures please I'm definitely going to tear down the
wood herb bed and replace it with one made of cedar or concrete blocks.

I've done some reading online and am debating about whether to hire a
company to take care of this or to do it myself. Since termites aren't a
problem where I come from, I don't have any personal experience dealing with
them. The prevailing wisdom recommends removing the source of food, warmth
and moisture - (the wood planter), but I'm concerned that might result in
them moving into the wood siding of the house? It is dry and so far looks
untouched - which I don't think makes it attractive to termites, is that
correct?

I've read that some companies will send a jolt of electricity into the
ground to kill all the termites. Something like that appeals to me, because
I wouldn't be introducing any chemicals into the soil and having removed the
food source, they would hopefully not re-establish themselves near the house
again. Does anyone have any experience with that method?

From your own experience, how would you recommend that I proceed? Is
chemical termiticide the definitive way? Are there effective organic methods
you have tried? Do you have recommendations for termite control companies?

Any helpful information greatly accepted.
Thanks,
Teri
Cedar Park