Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Small bird

I have 2 pairs of very, very small birds. I think they are birds because
they fly together as a pair. They are nectar feeders since they fly around
our petunia's about sunset. I saw them last year feeding on the mexican fire
bush. They are brown and black striped. They don't look anything like
pictures of hummingbirds but have the same fast angular flight pattern and
long beak. I would post a picture but I can't get enough contrast in the
dusk. Does anyone have an idea of what they might be?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt dt is offline

Chuck wrote:

I have 2 pairs of very, very small birds. I think they are birds because
they fly together as a pair. They are nectar feeders since they fly around
our petunia's about sunset. I saw them last year feeding on the mexican fire
bush. They are brown and black striped. They don't look anything like
pictures of hummingbirds but have the same fast angular flight pattern and
long beak. I would post a picture but I can't get enough contrast in the
dusk. Does anyone have an idea of what they might be?

Any chance they're large moths? http://snipurl.com/1kbte
You'd be surprised how big some of those things get.

DT
Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

Chuck wrote:
I have 2 pairs of very, very small birds. I think they are birds because
they fly together as a pair. They are nectar feeders since they fly around
our petunia's about sunset. I saw them last year feeding on the mexican fire
bush. They are brown and black striped. They don't look anything like
pictures of hummingbirds but have the same fast angular flight pattern and
long beak. I would post a picture but I can't get enough contrast in the
dusk. Does anyone have an idea of what they might be?

Hummingbird moths. I see them around my house occasionally.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 14-05-2007, 05:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Chuck wrote:
I have 2 pairs of very, very small birds. I think they are birds because
they fly together as a pair. They are nectar feeders since they fly
around our petunia's about sunset. I saw them last year feeding on the
mexican fire bush. They are brown and black striped. They don't look
anything like pictures of hummingbirds but have the same fast angular
flight pattern and long beak. I would post a picture but I can't get
enough contrast in the dusk. Does anyone have an idea of what they might
be?

Hummingbird moths. I see them around my house occasionally.

Those come around my house pretty regularly and feed exactly like
hummingbirds -- I first thought they were hummingbirds but they weren't
afraid of humans.