Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 AM
animaux

Default Mexican ag. fires and health?

The last week I have been very (and I mean very) fatigued, listless and have a
malaise about me. I have had no desire or energy to do anything. I almost feel
like I have the flu. My lymph nodes are swollen some, and I am dehydrated. So
much so that I needed to get up last night at 3am to get some water. I never do
that. BTW, I'm not depressed, so that's not it.

I called my sister in law, who lives in Cat Hollow and she too felt the exact
same way. We both gardened a lot last week, so were out breathing this smoke.

Since my husband is indoors all day at work, then at home we have the air on, he
doesn't feel like this at all.

My question is; do any of you feel similar to the way I feel? If so, are you
outdoors a lot?

If we are getting sick from the ag. fires, shouldn't Texas be buying the Mexican
people the equipment they need so they don't use fire? Maybe we could do with a
few (a lot fewer) football coaches making a hundred thousand a year for high
school football. Send that money down so we don't get sick every year with
respiratory problems in May.

Just my thoughts, but chime in if you are getting similar symptoms.

victoria

Old 16-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Michelle Fulton

"animaux" wrote in message
The last week I have been very (and I mean very) fatigued, listless and

have a
malaise about me. I have had no desire or energy to do anything. I

almost feel
like I have the flu. My lymph nodes are swollen some, and I am

dehydrated. So
much so that I needed to get up last night at 3am to get some water. I

never do
that. BTW, I'm not depressed, so that's not it.

Funny you should mention it, because I was just mentioning to a friend this
evening how I've been *depressed* for the last couple of weeks and then I
realized that it's been overcast for the last couple of weeks. I have a
severe reaction to sun deprevation and I only realize it on the rare
occasions that we experience sun deprivation around here (Fort Worth), which
we have had just recently. It always takes me a few days to realize what is
wrong, and then it dawns on me. We are so used to sunshine that a few days
of dreary weather really has an effect. I'm ready for some sun shine :-)

Old 16-05-2003, 03:56 AM

Same here, think it's excess pollen or such ...
I'm surrounded by large pecans & oaks, etc. - seems
like we get this crud when there's a lot of pollen
and dust. Or we could just be too fat & lazy.
I'm starting a new diet today:-)

Gene

Old 16-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
Since my husband is indoors all day at work, then at home we have the air on, he
doesn't feel like this at all.

You seem to be under the impression that the air inside your house is cleaner
than the air outside. That is not the case, unless you live in a bubble.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 AM
marty lester

In article , animaux
wrote:

The last week I have been very (and I mean very) fatigued, listless and have a
malaise about me. I have had no desire or energy to do anything. I almost

feel
like I have the flu.

i have very bad allergies this time of year, and i too was
in the yard the last few weekends.

(i already take nasal sprays and Allegra regularly)

i ended up w/ a prettty bad upper respiratory infection
to the point where i had to go to the doc for anti-biotics
to fight it. i'm talking about lungs, sinuses, and even an
ear infection.

i get hit pretty hard anyway this time of year, but the
smoke absolutely took my battered immune system
down.

in summary, i'm pretty unhappy about the burning and
it's effect on us. so yeah, you're not alone.

the bad news is i'm becoming so addicted to working
in the yard that i guess i set myself up for disaster.

marty.

Making the World a Noisier Place

Old 16-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Fred Johnson

"animaux" wrote in message
ASSHO:E

On Fri, 16 May 2003 01:01:38 GMT, "Fred Johnson" wrote:

SARS

.. .

Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Texensis

wrote in message
news | Same here, think it's excess pollen or such ...
| I'm surrounded by large pecans & oaks, etc. - seems
| like we get this crud when there's a lot of pollen
| and dust. Or we could just be too fat & lazy.
| I'm starting a new diet today:-)
|
| Gene

snip

Oak pollen's pretty much over, but was very heavy, and pecans bloomed
very heavily and I think have been having an effect still.

Old 16-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
Not a bubble, but the house is HEPA filtrated.

Unless you have a positive pressure gradient and a two-door entryway, your
HEPA filter is pretty much useless. You see, most houses (mine certainly
isn't) are not even close to being airtight. Outside air flows inside freely
(you really think all the dust you vaccuum weekly is produced *inside* the
house?) and it brings pollutants in. There was a study done a few years back
that measured pollutants inside and outside houses. In some cases the
pollutant concentration was actually higher indoors, since there is no wind
to disperse them inside.

Old 16-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Victor M. Martinez

animaux wrote:
We have significantly less pollutants in our home than are outside. When there
was construction the air was much harder to keep filtered. Nothing is 100%, but
you certainly can improve indoor air quality if you take proper measures.

I'm sorry if I appear to be stubborn, but unless you have all your windows
pefectly sealed, and all your doors perfectly sealed, the air inside your
house it not particularly cleaner than the air outside. HEPA filters and all.