Old 20-05-2003, 03:32 PM
jojo

Default groundcover

Hi all,
I am plant challenged.

I am looking for a groundcover that is thick and hardy.
It needs to withstand full sun with lots of neglect and little water.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
jojo

Old 20-05-2003, 04:32 PM
David Wright

On Tue, 20 May 2003 14:27:48 GMT, "jojo"
wrote:

Hi all,
I am plant challenged.

I am looking for a groundcover that is thick and hardy.
It needs to withstand full sun with lots of neglect and little water.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
jojo

My first thought is prairie verbena. It fits all your requirements and
has lantana-like flowers much of the year. I have several in my front
yard xeriscape and plan to put more in the back.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...nabipinna.html

David
Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 PM
jojo

Tha
wrote:

Hi all,
I am plant challenged.

I am looking for a groundcover that is thick and hardy.
It needs to withstand full sun with lots of neglect and little water.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
jojo

My first thought is prairie verbena. It fits all your requirements and
has lantana-like flowers much of the year. I have several in my front
yard xeriscape and plan to put more in the back.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...enabipinna.htm

David

Thank you David!!! This looks perfect!!!
Is this a plant that Austin nurseries are likely to have?

jojo

Old 20-05-2003, 05:45 PM
David Wright

On Tue, 20 May 2003 16:24:52 GMT, "jojo"
wrote:

Thank you David!!! This looks perfect!!!

You're welcome.

Is this a plant that Austin nurseries are likely to have?

Very likely, but make a few phone calls to be sure.

David
Old 22-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Terry Horton

wrote:

Hi all,
I am plant challenged.

I am looking for a groundcover that is thick and hardy.
It needs to withstand full sun with lots of neglect and little water.

Snake Herb (_Dyschoriste linearis_) Bluish-purple, foxglove family
flowers from spring to mid-summer and again in fall (ours is in bloom
right now). Texas native, likes the sun, handles drought. With a
little water it's aggressive at filling in bare spots, but doesn't
seem to crowd out our other plants. We cut it to the ground in late
winter, and right now it's as full as ever and heavy with blooms. Of
all the sunny groundcovers I've used this is my favorite. Good pic via
http://tinyurl.com/cekl

Barton Springs Nursery sells snake herb intermittently as flats come
in from their greenhouses. If they're out have them check with their
grower.