Old 14-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Robert Ramirez

Default Need 40' Trench Dug

I need a 40' trench dug about 12" deep and no more than about 3" wide.
I'll pay someone $50 for the work. Should take about 30 minutes if someone
has a mini trencher. Located in south Austin.

Thanks

Old 14-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Jim Wild

$50? Re-think that one. That would require a backhoe or a days work by
hand. You better have a few hundred bucks at least. Are there trees in
the area? Thats no small task.

Old 15-06-2003, 01:44 AM
gologa

Go rent a trench digger at Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes and join in the
beautiful experience that IS trench diggin.
Crow.

Old 15-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Mapanari

"gologa" babbled and bored us in
:

Go rent a trench digger at Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes and join in the
beautiful experience that IS trench diggin.
Crow.

"Robert Ramirez" wrote in message
.. .
I need a 40' trench dug about 12" deep and no more than about 3" wide.
I'll pay someone $50 for the work. Should take about 30 minutes if someone
has a mini trencher. Located in south Austin.

Thanks

I think this guy is trolling for a moron...

One time Capital Costs:

Trencher $1,200-$5,000
Ditchwitch $700-$3,000
Trailor to carry it: $300-1,200
Trailor hitch to pull it $100
Vehicle: $10,000 - $20,000

Job Costs:

Driving time:ave del chrg $ 60
Labor 4 hours: $25 an hour $100

So the real price to get someone to do that would be, factoring in
depreciation and equipment costs, about $300-$500.

But hey! $50 sounds really good. Let me get my trencher hooked up and I'll
be right over!

--
-Mapi

The Mapanari of Usenet.

Old 15-06-2003, 04:32 PM
animaux

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:56:28 GMT, Mapanari wrote:

(...)

I think this guy is trolling for a moron...

(...)

You would be right. He is a racist moron and likes to incite anger in people.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work on most people, so ignoring it will hasten the
disappearance.
Old 15-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Mapanari

animaux babbled and bored us in
:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:56:28 GMT, Mapanari
wrote:

(...)

I think this guy is trolling for a moron...

(...)

You would be right. He is a racist moron and likes to incite anger in
people. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on most people, so ignoring it
will hasten the disappearance.

Wait a minute! *I'm* a racist moron!

Are you getting us confused, again?

--
-Mapi

The Mapanari of Usenet.

Old 16-06-2003, 02:08 AM
God Bless Texas

"Jim Wild" wrote in message
$50? Re-think that one. That would require a backhoe or a days work by
hand. You better have a few hundred bucks at least. Are there trees in
the area? Thats no small task.

Um, yes, thus my comment about "I will pay more."

Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
B.Server

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:56:28 GMT, Mapanari
wrote:

You wouldn't, by any chance, work for the City of Austin or a large
utility company, would you? This sounds like my young neighbor who
is still in his "everything, but everything, must be done with the
biggest possible motor and greatest number of (POWERED!) tools" phase.
I believe that his toothbrush most likely is powered by a 6 Hp B&S.

If you are in solid rock, nothing that you rent or buy is going to
help. If not, spend a couple of your hours or hire someone who does
manual work (and save your hands) to spend the couple of hours with a
sharpshooter and be done with it.

Sheesh.

[...]

Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM

Anyone ever tried removing all but "one set" of arms from a
tiller & running it super deep? That is, your tiller would kind of look
like
one of the old steel bladed edgers.

I "think: it would dig a 12" x 3" ditch just fine.

Gene

Old 16-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Robbin

B.Server wrote in message
If you are in solid rock, nothing that you rent or buy is going to
help.

If he has solid rock around here, it is limestone and a rock saw will do the
job just fine.

Old 16-06-2003, 09:56 PM
animaux

It wouldn't work. You will be pulled all over the place. Trench diggers
generally have closed loop, chain driven tines.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:48:37 -0500, wrote:

Anyone ever tried removing all but "one set" of arms from a
tiller & running it super deep? That is, your tiller would kind of look
like
one of the old steel bladed edgers.

I "think: it would dig a 12" x 3" ditch just fine.

Gene

.. .

Old 16-06-2003, 11:20 PM

Assuming it's soil & not rock, seems to me that just one set of diggers
pulling would be less force than a full set pulling. In the past, when I
have removed all but two sets, it was much easier. One set would be
off-balance - will just have to try it some day. Possibly using two sets,
with
the ends turned in?

"animaux" wrote in message
It wouldn't work. You will be pulled all over the place. Trench diggers
generally have closed loop, chain driven tines.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:48:37 -0500, wrote:

Anyone ever tried removing all but "one set" of arms from a
tiller & running it super deep? That is, your tiller would kind of look
like
one of the old steel bladed edgers.

I "think: it would dig a 12" x 3" ditch just fine.

Gene

.. .

Old 17-06-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

It can be done, but you will not achieve a trench, which generally has a desired
straight line to it. It would be ragged and your arms will be so sore from
trying to hold it straight. I'm assuming you mean a rear end tiller. A front
end tiller would be extremely difficult to use as a straight trencher.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:12:25 -0500, wrote:

Assuming it's soil & not rock, seems to me that just one set of diggers
pulling would be less force than a full set pulling. In the past, when I
have removed all but two sets, it was much easier. One set would be
off-balance - will just have to try it some day. Possibly using two sets,
with
the ends turned in?

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
It wouldn't work. You will be pulled all over the place. Trench diggers
generally have closed loop, chain driven tines.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:48:37 -0500, wrote:

Anyone ever tried removing all but "one set" of arms from a
tiller & running it super deep? That is, your tiller would kind of look
like
one of the old steel bladed edgers.

I "think: it would dig a 12" x 3" ditch just fine.

Gene

.. .
wrote:

[...]

i have dug a trench for bedding plants/herbs Findlay Tulloch Gardening 2 14-06-2012 09:59 PM
Best way to build a dug in trench around my planted areas rskenny Gardening 8 12-04-2004 02:03 AM
Placing sod at bottom of trench? Bob Muir Gardening 0 03-05-2003 05:44 PM
Trench/channel drain CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
trench composting Paul Taylor United Kingdom 11 16-01-2003 08:23 PM