Old 26-06-2003, 01:08 PM
whit

Default English ivy

We've got english ivy growing up one corner of the house, this is
probably not a good thing in the long run, huh? It's made it's way
inside the unlatched screen and has reached the eaves in height. I
figured it made pretty good insulation as the afternoon sun hits that
corner of the house, it's shaded during the day othewise.

Also it's approaching an ancient oak and I'd rather it didn'd make its
way up it, is there an effective way to keep it from going in a
particular direction, aside from trimming occasionally?

Thanks
Whit
Old 01-07-2003, 06:28 PM
John T. Jarrett

Short of building a screen barrier, I doubt it. I assume from your post that
that isn't even an option for some of your desired uses. And frankly if it
is really happy ivy, it might go right around the screening anyway.

Keeping it trimmed is about all I know of. What I've seen people do is to
trim it all the way back two feet down the brick wall. That gives you a long
time till you need to trim it again AND you can just look up and see real
easilly if it is encroaching again and needs to be trimmed.

John

"whit" .*ork wrote in message
We've got english ivy growing up one corner of the house, this is
probably not a good thing in the long run, huh? It's made it's way
inside the unlatched screen and has reached the eaves in height. I
figured it made pretty good insulation as the afternoon sun hits that
corner of the house, it's shaded during the day othewise.

Also it's approaching an ancient oak and I'd rather it didn'd make its
way up it, is there an effective way to keep it from going in a
particular direction, aside from trimming occasionally?

Thanks
Whit

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
english ivy && deer Janet Baraclough Gardening 0 20-09-2003 08:22 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
My plan of attack on our English Ivy Anatase Lawns 8 01-12-2002 06:25 AM