Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 AM
animaux

Default Silverado Sage (Cenizo)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:58:48 GMT, c (Scott Harper) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

They get plenty of water, as they are planted in a flower bed. But they
also get full west-facing sun. Maybe the zygophyllum would be better...
Are they typically carried by the local nurseries?

This worries me. Cenizo is not a shrub which likes wetness. To give an
overall
view, no plants with silver foliage does well with moist or wet soil on a daily
basis.

Well don't get me wrong... I don't keep it wet on a daily basis. But
it gets adequate water, probably more than it needs being a desert
plant. And I'm pretty sure it "likes" the amount of wetness it is
getting. Heck, it's growing *too* well.

Regardless, a west facing exposure is probably the most undesirable for most
plants. It won't kill sun loving plants, but afternoon sun being the only
direct sun it gets will be disadvantageous to the plant.

Even a desert plant like cenizo? Well, can't do much about that...
And that's not the *only* sun it gets; it gets sun from about late
morning until sundown. But again, that doesn't seem to be a problem
with it, or the other plants in that same location (dwarf nandina, dwarf
yaupon holly, a low-growing juniper). Now the flowers that my wife
tries to grow out there on occasion are a whole 'nother story...

scott

Welp, we've about covered every possibility and my conclusion is that you bought
mislabeled plants and I would break every ball I needed to in order to have them
come dig them out and replace them with plants which are the same age you have
now. This mislabeling is one of the worst problems in horticulture today and
you would think with a high(ish) end garden center like Red Barn, you would not
have to be bothered with such nonsense. These didn't happen to be Monrovia,
were they?

I always had problems with ordering from them back when I directed a garden
center, much like Red Barn, but up north in New York. I was also a grower and
distributer of bedding plants and perennials to much of the northeast. From the
horses mouth, mislabeling is the bane of the industry and more people need to
make a huge fuss about it.

When or if you called Red Barn, what did they say? BTW, I happen to love Red
Barn, so I'm not on the rampage with them. They were probably sold a bill of
goods, or "bads" as this situation indicates.

Victoria
Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Terry Horton

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:58:48 GMT, c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

They get plenty of water, as they are planted in a flower bed. But they
also get full west-facing sun. Maybe the zygophyllum would be better...
Are they typically carried by the local nurseries?

This worries me. Cenizo is not a shrub which likes wetness. To give an
overall
view, no plants with silver foliage does well with moist or wet soil on a daily
basis.

Well don't get me wrong... I don't keep it wet on a daily basis. But
it gets adequate water, probably more than it needs being a desert
plant. And I'm pretty sure it "likes" the amount of wetness it is
getting. Heck, it's growing *too* well.

Well watered non-dwarf _Leucophyllum frutescens_ can be almost double
the height of a deep xeric specimens. Looking at Leucophyllums on
various nursery web sites today, I see height ratings all over the
place for the same cenizo cultivars. Could this be due to different
watering, fertilizers regimes? Can you 'force' a xeric selection like
Silverado to grow tall by treating it to kindly? May be.

Unfortunately extra water doesn't always equate to relatively more
leaves/flowers. The plant may stretch the distance between leaf axils,
putting on additional stem tissue to store the extra moisture. The
visual effect is a less dense appearance.

Victoria mentions a nursery mixup. You might want to take a good look
at leaf shape, color, etc. of your and see if you can match it to what
your nursery currently stocks.