Old 15-09-2003, 01:32 AM
ohberg

Default Composting at an Apartment

Does anyone have suggestions for composting apartment-style? I live on the
second floor & my "backyard" is my porch.

Old 15-09-2003, 05:02 PM
John T. Jarrett

Anaerobic in a tall garbage can on the porch.

I'd build a 2x4 'table' to put it on tall enough I could get a
5-gallon bucket underneath to catch the drippings and use for watering
my plants, punch a few holes in the bottom, and fashion some kind of
door on the side at the bottom to remove finished compost in several
months.

This will stink more than a normal pile so you will want to have a lid
that can be secured. However, it would be a very 'clean' way to
compost and requires no turning. Just doing kitchen scraps, you aren't
going to get much compost for your efforts, but if it is just for
house plants, that might be plenty! Come Spring that is...

Good Luck,
John

Old 15-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I would look at the composters he www.gardeners.com for ideas.

Old 15-09-2003, 08:02 PM
dt

"ohberg" wrote in message

Does anyone have suggestions for composting apartment-style? I live on

the

second floor & my "backyard" is my porch.

Woof! Sorry, but I don't think you're really gonna want to make compost
on your kitchen counter! Those things might be all right until you
carry it outside.

If you're really serious about composting on the porch, you might want
to look at "worm composting". Try:
http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html or google it; turns up 12k+ hits.

Good luck!

DT

Old 16-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

Just double-checking....you meant composting out on your porch?
The options are much different depending whether you meant to compost
indoors or outdoors.

Old 16-09-2003, 03:36 AM
CowboyBob

Worm Composting. Perfect for small enclosed compost situations. No stink.
Good results.

http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/compost/worms/basics.html

Cowboy Bob

Old 07-10-2003, 02:16 AM
K Farias

"ohberg" wrote in message .. .
Does anyone have suggestions for composting apartment-style? I live on the
second floor & my "backyard" is my porch.

Don't try the worms. My husband brought some of them home one time,
and I'll never forget the smell. Boy, do those things stink!!!!

Apartment and Bonsai Mike Bonsai 2 28-04-2005 12:29 AM
[IBC] Apartment and Bonsai Carl Rosner Bonsai 0 25-04-2005 08:58 PM
Squirrels on apartment balcony Christiane Gardening 5 19-06-2003 01:44 AM
Apartment Gardening Jimmy Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Apartment Gardening Dora Smith Texas 0 15-02-2003 08:07 PM