Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default starting a new garden

I am doing backyard garden from the scratch. It has 16 * 12 meters. I
was thinking on diving it in two parts: the left for a lawn (10*12) - A
and the right for plants (6*12) - B.

The part A has full sun during all day, while B has sun all day in 1/3,
aftertoon sun for 1/3 and no sun 1/3.

The reason I was choosing B for the plants was that it would allow me
to have sun and shade and therefore a larger variety of plants and also
because during the summer the sun is very strong in part A.

But now I am thinking on doing the other way around.... I canot decide
and I have the bulbs waiting...

What is your advice?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

P. Alves writes
I am doing backyard garden from the scratch. It has 16 * 12 meters. I
was thinking on diving it in two parts: the left for a lawn (10*12) - A
and the right for plants (6*12) - B.

The part A has full sun during all day, while B has sun all day in 1/3,
aftertoon sun for 1/3 and no sun 1/3.

The reason I was choosing B for the plants was that it would allow me
to have sun and shade and therefore a larger variety of plants and also
because during the summer the sun is very strong in part A.

But now I am thinking on doing the other way around.... I canot decide
and I have the bulbs waiting...

What is your advice?

If you were in the UK, I'd say lawn in the sun, but I'm not sure whether
that applies to N Portugal (which if I remember aright is where you are)
- you have hotter and drier summers.

Some of your plants would definitely appreciate the shade, and having
that will extend the season of interest.

You could divide it other ways, perhaps a bit of each side for each.
What people often do is have an irregularly shaped lawn in the centre,
surrounded by flower beds of different widths - this helps to disguise
the rectangular boundaries of the garden and can make it look larger.

You can of course grow some bulbs in grass (daffodils, crocuses for
example) but if you do this, you need to leave the grass uncut for about
6 weeks after the bulbs flower to let them grow and build up strength
for flowering next year.

--
Kay
Old 08-11-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am doing backyard garden from the scratch. It has 16 * 12 meters. I
was thinking on diving it in two parts: the left for a lawn (10*12) - A
and the right for plants (6*12) - B.

The part A has full sun during all day, while B has sun all day in 1/3,
aftertoon sun for 1/3 and no sun 1/3.

The reason I was choosing B for the plants was that it would allow me
to have sun and shade and therefore a larger variety of plants and also
because during the summer the sun is very strong in part A.

But now I am thinking on doing the other way around.... I canot decide
and I have the bulbs waiting...

What is your advice?

Ummmmm - sounds a bit regimented to me :~)
Why not have a look at some garden design sites/books for a bit more
inspiration?
loads of links on my site: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenlinks.htm

HTH Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
P. Alves writes
I am doing backyard garden from the scratch. It has 16 * 12 meters. I
was thinking on diving it in two parts: the left for a lawn (10*12) - A
and the right for plants (6*12) - B.

The part A has full sun during all day, while B has sun all day in 1/3,
aftertoon sun for 1/3 and no sun 1/3.

The reason I was choosing B for the plants was that it would allow me
to have sun and shade and therefore a larger variety of plants and also
because during the summer the sun is very strong in part A.

But now I am thinking on doing the other way around.... I canot decide
and I have the bulbs waiting...

What is your advice?

If you were in the UK, I'd say lawn in the sun, but I'm not sure whether
that applies to N Portugal (which if I remember aright is where you are)

snip

OH!
Totally different ball game !!
Jenny

Old 08-11-2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The only reason why I was making a clean lawn area is because I am
thinking on putting a badminton net and some tables for the summer. The
backyard has more 40 meters to the back, but it is too much of big job
to do all in one go!

I am going back to the UK in 3 weeks and want to leave the garden
design because it needs some hardwork and that it is not my cup of tea
))))

By the way K, the Hoopoes are still around... It is (at least) a couple
and are making daily visits to my backyard!! they are really nice. I
also got a few birds with orange chest, these ones are always around!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

P. Alves writes
The only reason why I was making a clean lawn area is because I am
thinking on putting a badminton net and some tables for the summer. The
backyard has more 40 meters to the back, but it is too much of big job
to do all in one go!

Oh, in that case, reserve the best bit for the plants and use the rest
for the lawn!

If it's so hot you need shade, you won't want to be playing badminton,
so the lawn doesn't need the shade.

I am going back to the UK in 3 weeks and want to leave the garden
design because it needs some hardwork and that it is not my cup of tea
))))

By the way K, the Hoopoes are still around... It is (at least) a couple
and are making daily visits to my backyard!! they are really nice. I
also got a few birds with orange chest, these ones are always around!

Redstarts? They were everywhere when we were in N Portugal a year ago.

--
Kay
Old 08-11-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

K wrote:
P. Alves writes
The only reason why I was making a clean lawn area is because I am
thinking on putting a badminton net and some tables for the summer. The
backyard has more 40 meters to the back, but it is too much of big job
to do all in one go!

Oh, in that case, reserve the best bit for the plants and use the rest
for the lawn!

If it's so hot you need shade, you won't want to be playing badminton,
so the lawn doesn't need the shade.

[...]

We found that outdoor badminton became a game of chance if there was
even quite a slight breeze; so Paulo might like to experiment a bit to
see how kind his local weather is likely to be. Or develop a new
version using tennis rackets and a weighted shuttlecock -- I don't know
why we didn't think of that.

--
Mike.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
We found that outdoor badminton became a game of chance if there was
even quite a slight breeze; so Paulo might like to experiment a bit to
see how kind his local weather is likely to be. Or develop a new
version using tennis rackets and a weighted shuttlecock -- I don't know
why we didn't think of that.

We played 2 hours of badminton indoors on Sunday with the kids. We were
given 3 shuttlecocks. There was a series of beams high above us. Trust
me to land not one there, not two but three!! The reception said they
have never seen this before. I've been asked to bring my own next time
))