Old 14-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Michael Moyer

Default A Lantana question...

....does it ever need to be cut back? The Salvia seems to love it. I just
planted the Lantana last year and it did great. Should I just let it go?

Thanks, Michael Moyer

Old 14-02-2004, 02:10 AM
B-0b1

Michael Moyer wrote:

...does it ever need to be cut back? The Salvia seems to love it. I just
planted the Lantana last year and it did great. Should I just let it go?

Thanks, Michael Moyer

Mike..It IS a natural WILD bush thet spreads via ROOT tendrils..
.If you wish to "Contain it" Lots of luck..LOL! B-0b1

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

Old 14-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Michael Moyer" wrote:

...does it ever need to be cut back? The Salvia seems to love it. I just
planted the Lantana last year and it did great. Should I just let it go?

Thanks, Michael Moyer

shrugs I've never cut my Lantana back...... :-)
it gets big after awhile, but that's ok. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 14-02-2004, 07:25 AM
cat daddy

"Michael Moyer" wrote in message
...does it ever need to be cut back? The Salvia seems to love it. I just
planted the Lantana last year and it did great. Should I just let it go?

I've cut mine back to the 6" stumps and they grow back just fine, but
they're several years old. I like the new growth and it keeps them from
getting too out of control. I don't think it really matters.

Old 14-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Katra

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"Michael Moyer" wrote in message
...does it ever need to be cut back? The Salvia seems to love it. I just
planted the Lantana last year and it did great. Should I just let it go?

I've cut mine back to the 6" stumps and they grow back just fine, but
they're several years old. I like the new growth and it keeps them from
getting too out of control. I don't think it really matters.

Yah. With Lantana, that's prolly very true! LOL!

I had some yellow Lantana in my bulb garden that was taking over too
much during the summer so I dug it up and transplanted it out front.

I dug... and dug... and dug.... Damn those roots go deep! Finally after
about 18" down I said to hell with it and chopped the tap root.

They are fine. Survived the mean transplanting and are doing their thing
out front where I don't care if they take over! ;-)

K.

Old 14-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Robbin

Sometimes I cut mine back and sometimes I don't. You have many more blooms
earlier in the Spring if you don't prune them.

Old 14-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Michael Moyer

Alrighty then, they will just go about on their own little ways then. The
less maintenance the better I like it. I'm thrilled to have something else
that the deer don't munch on (or haven't yet anyway).

Thanks for all of the feedback!!

Michael

"Robbin" wrote in message
Sometimes I cut mine back and sometimes I don't. You have many more blooms
earlier in the Spring if you don't prune them.

Old 14-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Michael Moyer" wrote:

Alrighty then, they will just go about on their own little ways then. The
less maintenance the better I like it. I'm thrilled to have something else
that the deer don't munch on (or haven't yet anyway).

Thanks for all of the feedback!!

Michael

That's the beauty of Xeriscaping...... ;-)
I want to do more of it as time goes on, but so far,
only Lantana and wild grapes.

Wild grapes have made a fantastic fence! Just wish they did not
lose their leaves in the winter. :-P And now they are climbing
up into the post oaks!

K.

Old 15-02-2004, 03:42 AM
cheshirecat

Here is a list of plants which are deer resistant. However, deer will eat
anything if they are hungry enough. I also haven't fully investigated this
list, so some of the plants may not be recommended for our area, Austin, TX.

http://www.npsot.org/plant_lists/deer_resistant.html

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:22:04 -0600, "Michael Moyer"
opined:

"Robbin" wrote in message
Sometimes I cut mine back and sometimes I don't. You have many more blooms
earlier in the Spring if you don't prune them.

Old 15-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Michael Moyer

That's the beauty of Xeriscaping...... ;-)
I want to do more of it as time goes on, but so far,
only Lantana and wild grapes.

Wild grapes have made a fantastic fence! Just wish they did not
lose their leaves in the winter. :-P And now they are climbing
up into the post oaks!

K.

--

Wild grapes...now there's someting that I have been thinning out a lot.
I've had problems with the stuff covering the canopies of several oak trees.

Michael

Old 16-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Michael Moyer" wrote:

That's the beauty of Xeriscaping...... ;-)
I want to do more of it as time goes on, but so far,
only Lantana and wild grapes.

Wild grapes have made a fantastic fence! Just wish they did not
lose their leaves in the winter. :-P And now they are climbing
up into the post oaks!

K.

--

Wild grapes...now there's someting that I have been thinning out a lot.
I've had problems with the stuff covering the canopies of several oak trees.
The grapevines were as big around as my arm. I don't mind a little here and
there on fences...if I could just keep it there.

Michael

ROFL!
And here I planted them on purpose because I had no joy with the
honeysuckles. ;-D

It is a trick, but my chickens like to eat them. G

Just cut the base and the leaves will dry out and not kill your
trees.......

I'm still wondering if they will be any good for dolmas as I've not
tried that yet, and the vines are fabulous for wreaths if you are in to
crafts. ;-) Something to do with the excess anyway.

They are rather prolific!

K.

Old 16-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Katra

In article ,

[...]

Common Lantana help? Novice gardener! mypet Gardening 11 18-04-2003 04:08 AM
Lantana & Plumbago still dormant? courtault at yahoo.com Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
free lantana... Tom Penick Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
lantana troubles Peter Imes Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Lantana & Plumbago still dormant? courtault at yahoo.com Texas 2 29-03-2003 09:20 PM