Old 30-03-2010, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Photinia pruning

Hi Folks,

Not having much knowledge about pruning, I have just cut back my Photinia to
about 12 inches above ground.

I should have sought guidance earlier, but do you think it will progress
now?

Bill

Old 31-03-2010, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey" said:

Not having much knowledge about pruning, I have just cut back my Photinia to
about 12 inches above ground.

I should have sought guidance earlier, but do you think it will progress
now?

You've just cut off all this year's new growth.

That sounds a bit harsh.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=145

If any of these photinias become overgrown, it is possible to
renovate by cutting back hard to a low framework and thinning out
congested shoots as they grow back.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/...g_photinia.htm

Photinia is quite quick growing once established, and may need to
be pruned back hard if growing out of control. As with most
evergreen shrubs, the best time to Prune Photinia Red Robin is at
the start of the growing season - late March/early April in UK.
It will soon re-grow, and then can be kept under control by
pruning as and when required.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 31-03-2010, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

[...]

The fact remains that he has got off all this year's new growth! If it is
Photinia Red Robin, one of the reasons for growing it is for the glowing
new shoots in spring. Prune it later in the year and then enjoy the new
shoots.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Thanks Sasha,

I was hoping that as spring is so late I might just get away with it.

One lives and learns :-)

Bill

Old 31-03-2010, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

[...]

Why I didn't think of it before I don't know, but I've just looked at:-

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/...g_photinia.htm

Maybe I wasn't so off the mark after all.

Bill.

Old 31-03-2010, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Grey wrote:

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

[...]

Which is precisely why I posted that very same link, and an
extract from the contents, above, about 4 hours ago ;-)

Chris

Old 31-03-2010, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
.. .

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

[...]

Thanks Chris, I missed the link.

Bill

Old 31-03-2010, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-31 14:17:11 +0100, Janet Baraclough
said:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 2010-03-30 19:38:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
said:

[...]

No, he hasn't, because at this time of year photinia has not yet
made any new growth for 2010..
The stumps will soon sprout into new red growth this year . Just
like it says in the article above.

Janet

Strange. Ours are bright red right now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

So were mine until I got cracking with the secateurs :-)

Lets see what happens.

Bill

Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On this mornings walk back from the garrage I passed 3 different
Photinias, all were just starting to shoot, no colour as yet.
David
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

They'll be back next year in any event.

Just out of interest, what would your recommendation have been,
once the need was established, for the optimum time to hard prune
a Photinia?

Chris

Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-01 12:48:11 +0100, Chris J Dixon said:

I'm glad you said "once the need was established" btw because very often
people seem to want to know when to start hard pruning on some poor little
plant about 2' tall if that! That is not a reflection on Bill, btw.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Hi Sacha,

My Photinia was planted year before last, and is a little higher that 2 ft
(but not much), but there you go I'm a useless gardener anyway. I'll have a
go and if it works great, if not try again.

Bill in the Swansea Valley.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-01 12:48:11 +0100, Chris J Dixon said:

I'm glad you said "once the need was established" btw because very often
people seem to want to know when to start hard pruning on some poor
little
plant about 2' tall if that! That is not a reflection on Bill, btw.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Hi Sacha,

My Photinia was planted year before last, and is a little higher that 2
ft
(but not much), but there you go I'm a useless gardener anyway. I'll
have a
go and if it works great, if not try again.

Bill in the Swansea Valley.

LOL! You're not a useless gardener, you're a learning gardener, by the
sound of it! And there isn't one person here who hasn't been one of
those!
I think a lot of new gardeners think of the "prune it and it gets bushier"
stuff. Some of that is true but of course, there are parameters with all
these things. In your shoes, I'd let your baby plant put on some new
growth and get to where it's convenient to you and *then* worry about
controlling it. There is no such thing as a 'useless gardener', there
are only people who haven't done much gardening - yet. If it's of any
help to you, when our customers are swithering about whether to buy a
plant or not, I do sometimes remind them that most shrubs last a great
many years and cost a lot less than a bunch of cut flowers. If your plant
dies - and I don't think it will - it will cost less than a bouquet to
replace it! Just let it be for a while and worry about it when it elbows
other plants out of the way or starts to look a bit boring. I'm useless
at estimating heights but that old variety one we have in our garden and
which I showed in a photo earlier must be around 20' tall or more. None
of us gets up there and trims that one, I promise you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Thanks Sacha for your sympathetic advice.

Bill

Old 13-06-2010, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
news
Hi Folks,

Not having much knowledge about pruning, I have just cut back my Photinia
to about 12 inches above ground.

I should have sought guidance earlier, but do you think it will progress
now?

Bill

Severl months have passed since I hacked my Photinia. This was done without
much insight into the pros and cons of pruning.

Anyway, I now report that the pruned branches/stems are producing a fine
crop of new red leaves.

I'm relieved :-)

Bill

Photinia replacement??? Jay Gardening 5 08-09-2004 07:36 PM
Photinia "Red Robin" - need advice! Debbie Gardening 7 26-03-2004 01:23 PM
Photinia Pruning Curtis Texas 12 13-03-2004 12:56 AM
Substitutes for Red Tip Photinia Shepherd Gardening 4 02-04-2003 07:44 AM
Photinia 'Red Robin' question Martin C United Kingdom 2 13-02-2003 11:09 PM