Old 30-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Katra

Default Composting Live Oak leaves

In article ,
deepeddygirl wrote:

For how long please?

Katra wrote:

Bag them in black bags, water then well, tie the bags up and leave them
in the sun...

K.

Oh! Sorry. :-)

I usually pick up bags of all kinds of leaves along side the road that
folks are wasting, including oak leaves, in the fall to protect my
underground bulb gardens over the winter. I will just dump those as is
over the cannas and irises, then wet them down. By spring, they have all
pretty much dissapeared, even the oak.

I leaf the remaining ones in the black bags and wet them, then pile them
in a corner of the yard and just forget about them over the winter. By
spring, I have good leaf compost.

I'd say 3 to 4 months.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Old 30-03-2004, 09:36 PM
deepeddygirl

Excellent! I just *knew* there had to be a good use for the piles I have
on my property.

Katra wrote:

In article ,
deepeddygirl wrote:

For how long please?

Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:38:24 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

For how long please?

Katra wrote:

Bag them in black bags, water then well, tie the bags up and leave them
in the sun...

K.

I would be cautious about this. You might get some anaerobic
decomposition going. You would know because the stuff would smell
really bad when you opened the bag.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:38:24 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

For how long please?

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:38:24 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

For how long please?

Old 31-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Katra

In article ,
deepeddygirl wrote:

Excellent! I just *knew* there had to be a good use for the piles I have
on my property.

Leaf mulch does wonders for my lovlies...... (flower bulbs).

Now if I can just figure out a way to winter over Caladiums! sigh

At least they are cheap.

K.

Old 31-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Katra

In article ,
Elliot Richmond wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:38:24 GMT, deepeddygirl
wrote:

For how long please?

Katra wrote:

Bag them in black bags, water then well, tie the bags up and leave them
in the sun...

K.

I would be cautious about this. You might get some anaerobic
decomposition going. You would know because the stuff would smell
really bad when you opened the bag.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Ok, but I've done this with dozens of bags, and NEVER had a problem with
stink! In fact, the smell is very pleasing due to the amount of
chlorophyll. We are not talking about kitchen garbage here. :-P

The only worry I ever had was when the bags cooked so well, they got hot!

I dumped some of them into the emu pen for bedding one day and they
literally started smoking. ;-) I wet them down again to prevent a
possible spontanious combustion event.

They were fresh bags that had never been wetted yet, as I had intended
to use them as bedding.

Bags of leaves are fabulous for counteracting muddy pens during the
rainy season, and the emus loved the leaves so much, they bedded down in
them every night until the leaves composted down to nothing.

K.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Kathleen

: Leaf mulch does wonders for my lovlies...... (flower bulbs).
:
: Now if I can just figure out a way to winter over Caladiums! sigh
:
: At least they are cheap.
:
: K.

What? You have to dig them up in the fall???
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Kathleen" wrote:

: Leaf mulch does wonders for my lovlies...... (flower bulbs).
:
: Now if I can just figure out a way to winter over Caladiums! sigh
:
: At least they are cheap.
:
: K.

What? You have to dig them up in the fall???
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

No, I've been leaving them in the ground along with the rest of the
bulbs. The winters here are mild so I just mulch.

They just don't usually come back but if any do, they are smaller and
weaker. :-P

Might be the grubs too, but they leave the other bulbs alone.

K.