Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Nixon, D

Default Bermuda; Not a Nice Lawn Grass . . . .

Unwanted Bermuda Grass in a Blue Grass or Fescue lawn.

Anyone know of a reasonable way to rid my lawn of a large patch of
Bermuda Grass without also killing the blue grass and fescue growing
around and within it???

I thought the unusually cold winter we had this year might wipe out the
Bermuda. No such luck.

McDave

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Chuck

I'm working the opposite problem. Trying to get the fescue and St. Augustine
crabgrasses out of my Bermuda!

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Nixon, D

Chuck;

Heh, heh, heh. . . . .
Well, either way they are just not compatible and don't make for a decent
looking lawn. In our climate here, the bermuda turns a trashy brown color
in November and does not get green again until June whereas the blue grass
and fescue stay green year 'round.
Now I know why it is illegal to sell or import bermuda into the state of
Maryland.

I suspect the only solution for me is simply dig out ALL bits of the bermuda
that I can, put in a heavy seeding of Fescue and try to get a good stand of
it, then just hand weed out the bermuda as I see it cropping up. I don't
look
forward to that. It's about a 10 ft square patch of bermuda and I'm not
too
keen on "hands&knees" gardening anymore....

McDave

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Bob

"Nixon, D" wrote in message
In our climate here, the bermuda turns a trashy brown color
in November and does not get green again until June

Well, tell you what - I live in this climate and have Bermuda front and
back. It has been green since the first week in March & has been mowed
twice.

I happen to like Bermuda, even if the folks in Maryland don't - I don't
think they are all that smart to be living in that climate anyway.

So, different strokes etc.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Katra

It IS a Texas newsgroup, and I have the same problem with Bermuda that
he does! I thought it was supposed to be a grass that did not need a lot
of water. I was wrong. :-P

I'm just not getting good, even coverage with bermuda. The soil is
plenty fertile, I used to let chickens and ducks run loose back there
for a few years, and have since re-fertilized with liquid fertilizers,
but the coverage still sux.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 06:32 PM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Bermuda Grass Bob Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Bermuda grass question Gene S Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 07:56 PM