Old 15-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Michael Light

Default Help Banana Tree

I purchased a banana tree this last summer. LOVED IT. Husbands Grandma said
cut off below the leaves and wrap to protect Through winter. I did this. Now
I have a brown stalk. as I dig down into it I notice it is watery and has a
green to it in there. What do I do right now? Is it dead...I would think Id
start seeing some growth by now but Im not. Im watering it just incase its
alive. Is this normal to see it in this condition or is it a lost cause??
Thanks for your time. I need all the help I can get.

Old 15-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

It's probably alive and will start coming back soon.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 17-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Sibel D. Unalmis

The green in the middle you see is the new growth. Mines are about a foot
long now.

I cut my banana trees early March, depending on how the winter is going on.
This way they survive the freeze without being covered.

The first year spring came earlier. I noticed they were already growing
inside and I cut the tip of the new growth too but no harm were done.

I cut them very close to ground. Then they grow back again. The remainings
from last year gets watery. Even the trunks I cut are watery too.

Only I wish they make banana.

Old 17-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Norma Briggs

I have a yard full of banana trees. I admit they might grow better in my
zone, 9b. However, I never cover them and don't cut them back too far, only
the very tops. I believe that to get them to produce the tree must be 3
years old. Mine produce lots of fruit, but so far it has been leathery and I
have no interest in eating them.

good luck
"Sibel D. Unalmis" wrote in message
The green in the middle you see is the new growth. Mines are about a foot
long now.

I cut my banana trees early March, depending on how the winter is going

on.
This way they survive the freeze without being covered.

The first year spring came earlier. I noticed they were already growing
inside and I cut the tip of the new growth too but no harm were done.

I cut them very close to ground. Then they grow back again. The

remainings
from last year gets watery. Even the trunks I cut are watery too.

Only I wish they make banana.

---

Old 18-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Sibel D. Unalmis

Mine are more than 3 years old. But the trunk gets watery and looks very
dead. Aren't yours like that?

Also, the banana trees I saw in San Antonio Zoo were very tall and they had
bananas on them. That explains.

Next year I will try not cutting them. My husband always complains how hard
it was to cut them. This year I had to because he had a knee surgery a week
before I cut them and I had a chance to validate his complains. :-)

Thanks and regards,
Sibel

Old 18-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Norma Briggs

I guess it depends on how many freezing days you have, though I am not sure.
I am in Houston and we don't have very many at all. I pretty much just leave
them alone except for watering them during dry spells.

I may not be the person to ask...lol...I have more trouble killing them than
growing them. Round up has not even worked for me yet. I am down to about 24
trees verses the 100's when I bought this place. I literally had to have a
knife to get though the yard...lol.

I do know this though...we they are dead they will fall over and stink to
high heaven. Try using a regular bread knife to cut just the tops off, if
you must. You may find they are showing new growth the same day.

Banana Tree - Help GwßdE Gardening 10 02-10-2004 07:36 PM
Banana Tree - Help GwßdE Texas 5 08-09-2004 10:52 PM
Banana Tree Question Stan Gardening 4 06-11-2003 01:12 AM
Banana tree leaves turn brown! Why? BOB Edible Gardening 2 27-04-2003 11:08 PM
Banana tree leaves turn brown! Why? TOM KAN PA Gardening 2 27-04-2003 09:44 PM