Old 15-09-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Surf fishing at the Coast

This is off topic, but gardeners are outdoors people, so hey, why not
post here.

I had a trip planned to drive to the coast and try my hand at surf
fishing for the first time. My trip buddy cancelled at the last minute
with no reschedule. I'm still interested in learning how to surf fish,
and this time of year big redfish are supposed to be spawning and
close-in.

Anyone interested in a trip down to Port Aransas or other spot for
some surf fishing? I'd sure like to go with an experienced angler to
speed up my learning curve.

Just tossing out a pitch to see if anyone takes a swing.

austex2468(at)sbcglobal.net

Old 15-09-2004, 10:26 PM
GeneS

LOL - just got back from a trip to Rockport.
Do you have a boat that your feel comfortable
with in open bay water? Boat or no boat,
I can tell you where you "should" catch a few reds &
even gig a few flounder:-)

Gene

Old 16-09-2004, 12:20 PM
wc

I've been thinking about going down the the coast sometime this fall,
haven't been fishing on the coast since I was 11. No boat, figured I'd just
go to the Causway (sp?) or go out on one of those barges that take 30 or so
people out somewhere. Wade fishing would be fun except for the fear of
stepping on jellyfish, broken glass, black holes, etc. I grew up fishing
stock tanks on the farm.

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 16-09-2004, 04:00 PM
GeneS

We recently took our grandson on his first sal****er fishing
trip - which he REALLY enjoyed. Father & Grampa enjoyed it too:-)

Here's my recommendations if you do not have a boat:
:
1. Hire a guide for ~ $300 to $400 for a half or full day
of red+ fishing. You "should" limit out early, as I have never
seen so many large reds. You just have to be in the right spot at
the right time. Some of the guides will guarantee that you limit out.
Go to the places where the guides clean fish to see who is
producing. (Bait camps , especially inside Goose Island State Park.)
Take your cameras, it WILL be a memorable trip. Take a friend
to split the costs:-)

2. Buy or borrow a small canoe or kayak.
Make reservations at Goose Island State Park where you will camp
out in your tent ,camper, etc. "Bring "LOTS" of mosquito repellant-
with a very high percent of DEET (Yeah, yeah, blah, blah .. but it's the
ONLY thing that really works.) Hang out around the bait house inside
Goose Island to find out what they are hitting, etc. They have live shrimp
& mullet, etc.
Here is what I "KNOW" you can do while camping at Goose Island -
without a boat. (We carried the 24' boat and a 14' canoe - but really could
have done ~ as well without either.)
(a.) - Use a "monofiliment" cast net and catch a bunch of 2" or so mullet.
Keep them alive in
a bait bucket. Go to the Goose Island State Park boat ramp - after dark. Go
the last light on your left, as you face the water - it will be at the end
of the concrete
bulkhead. Out from that point, about 50 to 75 yards or so is a shell reef.
Hook one of the
mullet "IN THE TAIL" so it will stay alive- all you want is a hook & a slip
sinker. You want
the mullet to swim freely. Cast out as far as possible & just wait - it's
only a matter of time
until a red or ? takes it. (We canoed over the entire cove area & saw a LOT
of activity
on this reef , as well as in the grass along the entire shore.) The only
bait that could be any
better for reds would be a piece of a larger mullet, freshly cut into "cut
bait".
(b) In the daytime, just walk out the GISP pier about half way, then wade
out left to the reefs, which
are like 100 yards or so away. There are other shell reefs that you can wade
to as well.
It's difficult to find a place that is over your head in the entire area. Be
"sure" to wear some good
old tough shoes, as the shell will cut & the mud will try & pull them off.
The best shoe IMHO is an old
pair of hunting boots that you intend to discard in the near future. Again,
I would use the live & cut
mullet on the bottom, and possibly under a cork if the trash fish are bad.
Live shrimp for trout.
(c) If you know how to "gig" flounder, just wait until after midnight &
slowly canoe (or walk)
around the area near the GISP boat ramp. You "should" get a few in the
clear water, about 6"
to 12" deep. We used the canoe, a large 12VDC car battery & aircraft landing
lights attached
to 3/4" PVC pipe to place the aircraft sealed beam light under the water -
you see a LOT better
than simply shining a spotlight onto the water. In October - November, you
could easily limit out there. If you
do not find the flounder there, go to just before entering the ferry at Port
A, then gig along the
Shrimper's Channel on your left, before the ferry & near the oil refinery
plant at the end of the small road.

If you have a boat, I can simply give you GPS coordinates:-)

If you have children, take them fishing near Rockport. The sal****er
museum is a few minutes away in CC. If nothing else, just sit in a
chair on the GISP pier - that's fun too:-)

Hope this helps.
Gene

Old 16-09-2004, 06:29 PM
wc

Yes indeed, sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the information!!!

I suppose in the future we should put fishing threads in the austin.food NG,
just to be 'proper' )

GeneS wrote:

We recently took our grandson on his first sal****er fishing
trip - which he REALLY enjoyed. Father & Grampa enjoyed it too:-)

snipped a lot of good stuff

Hope this helps.
Gene

Old 16-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:29:17 GMT, wc wrote:

I suppose in the future we should put fishing threads in the austin.food NG,
just to be 'proper' )

No, there is a long history of the connection between fishing and
gardening. Fish used to be and still are caught to use as soil
supplements for gardens.

I enjoyed Gene's rendition also. I guess if Gene gets into
complicated recipes for cooking these then maybe the food angle works.
But short of that.......

Rusty Mase
Old 16-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Katra

In article , wc wrote:

Yes indeed, sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the information!!!

I suppose in the future we should put fishing threads in the austin.food NG,
just to be 'proper' )

I don't think anyone minded... :-)

Fish guts make good fertilizer so you can stretch that to be on topic!
lol

Anyone ever make their own fish fertilizer?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...