Old 16-09-2004, 03:05 PM
GeneS

Default Propane Mosquito Trap - now at Harbor Freight, Austin

If anyone has purchased one of these CO2 / 5 gal
Propane devices, please advise the results.
http://www.harborfreighttools.com/cp...emnumber=91551

THANKS

Gene

Old 16-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:05:25 GMT, "GeneS"
wrote:
If anyone has purchased one of these CO2 / 5 gal
Propane devices, please advise the results.
http://www.harborfreighttools.com/cp...emnumber=91551

We discussed this earlier and the general conclusions were that these
do not work effectively as they are subject to various issues of which
maintenance is a problem.

Buying any appliance from Harbor Freight is also risky in my opinion.
I did not see a brand name.

Rusty Mase
Old 17-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Andyd

The problem with these is that the mosquitos most commonly found in
Austin, the Asian Tiger, are not attracted to carbon dioxide. I have
several friends with these devices and they have told me that they get
about as many mosquitos in them that they'd expect from randomly
flying into the device. One even called the manufacturer and they
said they knew about the Asian Tiger problem and were working on
something they'd be attracted to, but haven't developed anything yet.

Old 18-09-2004, 12:16 AM
GeneS

THANKS, that's very valuable info. That may explain some of
the confusion.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...r_mosquito.htm
Somehow, these just do not look like good ol' Texas skeeters to me ...

Thanks,
Gene

Old 18-09-2004, 06:08 PM
ie

We have a "mosquito magnet"--got it last year and it was not very effective
due to the Asian Tiger. Just discovered a new attractant on their website
that was developed for the Asian tiger (little buggers are nasty) and we are
going to try it. http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/ it's called Lurex. I'll
try anything...mosquito bites to me are like fire ants to other people, fire
ants bits to me are, well, a couple of days in bed on benadryl....

I have cousins up north in the woodland and prairie states that love their
mosquito magnets...I hope this attractant works. If not, I'll sell it to a
cousin or friend up north.

FYI, I read about mosquito dunks and put them about the patio in pots and
such...they helped A LOT!

cheers!

Old 22-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Andyd

These aren't good old Texas skeeters, but they are the ones most
commonly found here in suburban Austin. They breed in just abou tany
standing water, no matter how small. They are smaller than many of
our native skeeters and ten to fly low to the ground, often biting on
the legs and around your ankles. You can spot them by their striped
legs, and they usually aren't as dark as the one in that photo, at
least not in my experience. But the striped legs are easy to see.

Now the real good ole' Texas skeeters that you get such as those near
the coast and in swamps and stuff, those giant children-eating kind,
now those apparently are attracted to CO2, and these traps might work.
But if you live in suburban Austin I'll bet if you pay attention
you'll find the Asian Tiger is by far the dominant mosquito you are
having trouble with.

andyd

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:16:40 GMT, "GeneS"
wrote:

THANKS, that's very valuable info. That may explain some of
the confusion.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...r_mosquito.htm
Somehow, these just do not look like good ol' Texas skeeters to me ...

Thanks,
Gene

.. .

Old 22-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Andyd

Please follow up with a post on your success with this attractant. I
will buy one of these machines as soon as I feel comfortable that it
really works on those little SOBs...... Those mosquito magnets are
pricey.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:08:05 GMT, "ie" wrote:

We have a "mosquito magnet"--got it last year and it was not very effective
due to the Asian Tiger. Just discovered a new attractant on their website
that was developed for the Asian tiger (little buggers are nasty) and we are
going to try it. http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/ it's called Lurex. I'll
try anything...mosquito bites to me are like fire ants to other people, fire
ants bits to me are, well, a couple of days in bed on benadryl....

I have cousins up north in the woodland and prairie states that love their
mosquito magnets...I hope this attractant works. If not, I'll sell it to a
cousin or friend up north.

FYI, I read about mosquito dunks and put them about the patio in pots and
such...they helped A LOT!

cheers!

. ..

wrote:

If anyone has purchased one of these CO2 / 5 gal
Propane devices, please advise the results.

http://www.harborfreighttools.com/cp...emnumber=91551

THANKS

Gene

More Harbor Freight Sucks.... Gareee© Ponds 7 03-07-2004 01:02 AM
Harbor Freight..(easy to make lights) Ponds 5 04-06-2004 01:05 AM
Harbor Freight.. sucks! Gareee© Ponds 27 01-06-2004 05:10 PM
Online pump/light resource?(Harbor Freight) Mike Bernardoni Ponds 5 25-05-2004 04:09 AM
Online pump/light resource? Harbor freight?? Gareee© Ponds 0 21-05-2004 12:07 AM