Old 12-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:54:11 -0500, Katra
wrote:

If it is injured, PLEASE e-mail me! I adore vultures...

Will do!

Alternately, call Wildlife Rescue Inc. at 830-336-2725
or Last Chance Forever Raptor rehab. in San Antonio
at 210-499-4080.

There is also Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation in San Antonio
http://www.wildlife-rescue.org/ that looks promising. I will check
the status of my visitor after sun up and start calling these folks.

Please, don't let it just die...

Not me. Turkey Buzzards are frequent in my area (Loop 360 and Bee
Caves Rd) and do an excellent job handling animal carcases the
motorists leave around. Sometimes they roost on top of a fort I built
in the back yard for my kids to play in. This one took refuge in the
lower portion of the fort and I secured the openings as best I could
so it is safe.

Rusty Mase
Old 12-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Katra

wrote:

If it is injured, PLEASE e-mail me! I adore vultures...

Will do!

Got it, thanks. :-)

Alternately, call Wildlife Rescue Inc. at 830-336-2725
or Last Chance Forever Raptor rehab. in San Antonio
at 210-499-4080.

There is also Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation in San Antonio
http://www.wildlife-rescue.org/ that looks promising. I will check
the status of my visitor after sun up and start calling these folks.

Please, don't let it just die...

Not me. Turkey Buzzards are frequent in my area (Loop 360 and Bee
Caves Rd) and do an excellent job handling animal carcases the
motorists leave around. Sometimes they roost on top of a fort I built
in the back yard for my kids to play in. This one took refuge in the
lower portion of the fort and I secured the openings as best I could
so it is safe.

Rusty Mase

Good man! Thank you. :-)
Last Chance Raptor Rehab is excellent since you are in San Antonio....

K.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:35:20 -0500, Katra
wrote:

Got it, thanks. :-)

Just a little background I dug up. These folks are all volunteers and
you would almost need to know which one handles each sort of
animal(s). I could not find a vulture rehabilitator in the various
lists.

But it brings up another point, vultures are migratory birds protected
under both federal and state laws. To rehabilitate them you need to
have permits to do so. These volunteers go to a lot of effort to do
what they do and the issue becomes a lot more complicated than I
originally thought.

I think I will stick with rehabilitating plants.

Rusty Mase
Old 12-10-2004, 07:05 PM
dt

wrote:

Got it, thanks. :-)

Just a little background I dug up. These folks are all volunteers and
you would almost need to know which one handles each sort of
animal(s). I could not find a vulture rehabilitator in the various
lists.

But it brings up another point, vultures are migratory birds protected
under both federal and state laws. To rehabilitate them you need to
have permits to do so. These volunteers go to a lot of effort to do
what they do and the issue becomes a lot more complicated than I
originally thought.

I think I will stick with rehabilitating plants.

Migratory plants? ;-)

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 12-10-2004, 11:59 PM
God Bless Texas

dt wrote:

Migratory plants? ;-)

Not after the rehab.

Old 13-10-2004, 12:00 AM
God Bless Texas

escapee wrote:

I suppose...if what you like to be is mean spirited. You're on the right
track, then.

I don't see how annoying wildlife which is eating my birdseed is "mean
spirited." I suppose you think those folks who put up fencing, spread
cougar pee, or otherwise attempt to foil the whitetails' efforts to eat
their landscaping are also "mean spirited?"

Or do we just feel judgemental today?

Old 13-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Katra

wrote:

Got it, thanks. :-)

Just a little background I dug up. These folks are all volunteers and
you would almost need to know which one handles each sort of
animal(s). I could not find a vulture rehabilitator in the various
lists.

But it brings up another point, vultures are migratory birds protected
under both federal and state laws. To rehabilitate them you need to
have permits to do so. These volunteers go to a lot of effort to do
what they do and the issue becomes a lot more complicated than I
originally thought.

I think I will stick with rehabilitating plants.

Rusty Mase

That is why I suggested Last Chance Forever. ;-)
That is specifically a licensed Raptor rehabbing facility.

I highly recommend them!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 13-10-2004, 02:26 PM
God Bless Texas

escapee wrote:

we just feel judgmental.

Well, to change tacks - winter's coming, and the dog's usual
cool-weather sleeping quarters (detached garage) seems to have been
taken over by rats, at least something's running around in the upstairs
part.

Any good ideas on how to chase off a community of rats? By the little
footfalls overhead, there seem to be at least four or five of them.

Poison would cause a stink, traps require emptying and re-setting, and I
don't have much faith in the ultrasonic emitters (plus the discomfort it
would probably cause the dogs).

Anyone know of a good way to chase off a few rats?

Old 13-10-2004, 03:29 PM
N. Woolley

Cougar pee and other predator 'pees' are very mean spirited. The ways
they are obtained is very inhumane.

-N.

Old 13-10-2004, 03:46 PM
dt

God Bless Texas wrote:

dt wrote:

Migratory plants? ;-)

Not after the rehab.

;-) I've got several pots of mother-in-law's tongue that started as two
leaves found in trash cans on separate occasions. Some of them have
continued to migrate, though. I've given away several pots.

Then there was the 30-gallon trash can full of aspidistra a few weekends
ago....

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 13-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Cindy

N. Woolley wrote:
Cougar pee and other predator 'pees' are very mean spirited. The ways
they are obtained is very inhumane.

-N.

Good God, how would one collect predator pee!? I assumed it was made in a
lab.

Cindy

Old 13-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Katra

In article ,
(God Bless Texas) wrote:

escapee wrote:

we just feel judgmental.

Well, to change tacks - winter's coming, and the dog's usual
cool-weather sleeping quarters (detached garage) seems to have been
taken over by rats, at least something's running around in the upstairs
part.

Any good ideas on how to chase off a community of rats? By the little
footfalls overhead, there seem to be at least four or five of them.

Poison would cause a stink, traps require emptying and re-setting, and I
don't have much faith in the ultrasonic emitters (plus the discomfort it
would probably cause the dogs).

Anyone know of a good way to chase off a few rats?

I keep poultry and the feed attracts rats...
Poison is the only way, short of finding a few Texas Rat Snakes and
introducing them to that location.

I hate poison, but after ending up with an overwhelming population
trying to live trap, poison was the only way. :-P

They only stink for a couple of days. ick But, since the bait causes
them to bleed to death, most come out to die near water containers.
Bleeding makes them very thirsty. I had one dying rat chomp a hole in my
garden hose trying to get water.

Fighting rats has been an ongoing chore for me. Endless it seems! I need
to re-bait my bait stations. I saw a rat in the Bantam pen last night.

Tomcat bar bait, or One Bite brand bar bait work pretty well. Tomcat
seems to work better for me. I place the bar bait into suet cages to
keep the rats from carrying it off. They have to eat it where they stand
rather than stashing it. Saves me money. I have some permanent bait
stations built out of cinder blocks at this point.

sigh

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 14-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

A couple of cats might do the trick

"God Bless Texas" wrote in
message ...

Old 14-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote:

"God Bless Texas" wrote in
message ...
escapee wrote:

we just feel judgmental.

Well, to change tacks - winter's coming, and the dog's usual
cool-weather sleeping quarters (detached garage) seems to have been
taken over by rats, at least something's running around in the upstairs
part.

Any good ideas on how to chase off a community of rats? By the little
footfalls overhead, there seem to be at least four or five of them.

Poison would cause a stink, traps require emptying and re-setting, and I
don't have much faith in the ultrasonic emitters (plus the discomfort it
would probably cause the dogs).

Anyone know of a good way to chase off a few rats?

A couple of cats might do the trick

Maybe...

But a Rat Terrier would probably work even better.

Honestly.

My Border Collie does a good job at every opportunity.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM
[IBC] Squirrels dalecochoy Bonsai 3 06-02-2003 11:27 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 12:19 AM
Squirrels Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-01-2003 02:08 PM