Old 07-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Greg Church

Default Squirrels

Squirrels are digging holes in my container plants. I've heard that moth
balls in the pots might disuade them. Anyone heard of this or have any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
greg

Old 07-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Greg Church" wrote:

Squirrels are digging holes in my container plants. I've heard that moth
balls in the pots might disuade them. Anyone heard of this or have any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
greg

Yes, but moth balls might kill the plants...
Put them in mesh bags and suspend them so they don't come in contact
with the soil.

Let us know if this helps please?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 07-10-2004, 11:02 PM
escapee

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:26:17 GMT, "Greg Church"
opined:

Squirrels are digging holes in my container plants. I've heard that moth
balls in the pots might disuade them. Anyone heard of this or have any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
greg

Mothballs are very toxic to soil, animals, you, me, water, etc. Please don't
use them. They sell over the counter products to deter squirrels and they work
perfectly well.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:11 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

My daughter used a small tomato cage and a net to protect her container
plant from squirrels. It worked very well.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:36 PM
God Bless Texas

Greg Church wrote:
Squirrels are digging holes in my container plants. I've heard that moth
balls in the pots might disuade them. Anyone heard of this or have any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
greg

Twelve-year-old son and a low-powered BB gun worked until he lost
interest. But the squirrels still jump when we open the patio door.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 PM
God Bless Texas

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Hey, fried squirrel is delicious... ;-)

Well, I've had fried, stewed, and roasted (kind of, that wasn't very
good). But the boy's BB gun wouldn't crack an eggshell from more than 5
feet away - it's more of an attention-getter than anything that actually
damages the squirrels.

But, I like them to jump to attention when I open the door . . .

Old 11-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:55:27 GMT, escapee
wrote:
(snipped)
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:59:19 GMT, God Bless Texas opined:
But, I like them to jump to attention when I open the door . . .

I suppose...if what you like to be is mean spirited. You're on the right
track, then.

One persons weed is someone else's flower. I personally find fox
squirrels to be nothing but vermin and there is no philosophical basis
whatsoever to lift them above that position. There are those that
revere scorpions as a unique form of life as well as those that kill
them on sight.

It is not a matter of which one of those actions is "mean spirited".
God Bless Texas's sons actions are illegal as state hunting laws
preclude the use of air powered guns and rifles for hunting fox
squirrels. The son was, however, not hunting in the real sense of the
word. He was punishing the buggers for territorial intrusion.

I can see nothing "mean spirited" about that.

Rusty Mase
Old 11-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Cindy

wrote:
[...]

Besides, they make darn good target practice.

Cindy

Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:36:26 GMT, "Cindy"
wrote:
Besides, they make darn good target practice.

I inherited something even stranger this evening - a Turkey Buzzard
decided to, or had no alternative to, spend the night in my fenced
back yard. I think it has a broken wing. Do you think Wildlife
Rescue wants a very smelly, injured adult vulture to rehabilitate?

These do not make good target practice as they are way big and way
slow.

Rusty Mase
Old 12-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Cindy

Besides, they make darn good target practice.

I inherited something even stranger this evening - a Turkey Buzzard
decided to, or had no alternative to, spend the night in my fenced
back yard. I think it has a broken wing. Do you think Wildlife
Rescue wants a very smelly, injured adult vulture to rehabilitate?

Can't hurt to ask. Are there lots of turkey buzzards? They're good for
cleaning up the squirrel carcasses.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:54 AM
Katra

wrote:
Besides, they make darn good target practice.

I inherited something even stranger this evening - a Turkey Buzzard
decided to, or had no alternative to, spend the night in my fenced
back yard. I think it has a broken wing. Do you think Wildlife
Rescue wants a very smelly, injured adult vulture to rehabilitate?

These do not make good target practice as they are way big and way
slow.

Rusty Mase

Rusty,

If it is injured, PLEASE e-mail me!
I adore vultures...

Alternately, call Wildlife Rescue Inc. at 830-336-2725
or Last Chance Forever Raptor rehab. in San Antonio
at 210-499-4080.

Please, don't let it just die...

Thanks!
Katra

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM
[IBC] Squirrels dalecochoy Bonsai 3 06-02-2003 11:27 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 12:19 AM
Squirrels Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-01-2003 02:08 PM