Old 11-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Mark Levy

Default rec for part sun/mostly shade plant?

the little woman and i removed some english ivy that occupied a 12in
deep (and 15 feet wide) strip of soil between our house and driveway
and are looking to replace it with something more pleasant looking --
the ivy is much more "country" than our 1950s central austin home is.
the strip faces north, and it gets some morning sun but mostly
afternoon shade.

the reason that we took out the ivy is that it we'd like to do a better
job of covering the underpinning (the 1-1.5 foot tall skirt around our
pier-and-beam house). the ivy only went up about 6-7inches.

so, what i'd like to know from you well-informed gardenbanter.com folks
is what small shrub or plant can we put in that area that will grow to 2
feet-ish tall in a morning sun-but mostly shaded 12 inch deep strip? the
strip is about 15 feet long, and we'd like to plant several specimens of
the same plant all the 15ft, for continuity.

many thanks for your suggestions!

mark

FYI, our original thought was for rosemary, but i don't think we get
the requisite sunlight. also, we're not big fans of the liriope/monkey
grass look.

--
Mark Levy

Clivia - shade or part-shade? Higgs Boson Gardening 5 26-04-2015 03:43 AM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
rec for part sun/mostly shade plant? Mark Levy Texas 1 11-10-2004 03:53 AM
Is four hours of sun considered part shade? Jefffooz Gardening 3 10-08-2004 01:34 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM