Old 17-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Carlos

Default flowers in rocks

I have a very rocky escarpment, some loose rocks, some large areas of
limestone. Any flowers that are drought and heat resistant that will grow in
rocky soil? Get's full unprotected sun all day.

Old 18-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Carlos

How about anything that might work well from seed?

"escape" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:13:21 GMT, "Carlos" opined:

I have a very rocky escarpment, some loose rocks, some large areas of
limestone. Any flowers that are drought and heat resistant that will grow
in
rocky soil? Get's full unprotected sun all day.

Blackfoot daisy
lavender
rosemary
lantana
Salvia gregii
red yucca
agaves
prickly pear cactus
coreopsis spp
most plants which are silver leaved, like artemesia's

Old 18-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Victor Martinez

Carlos wrote:
How about anything that might work well from seed?

If you had bothered to google any of the species below, you might have
learned that coreopsis can be seeded.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 18-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Katra

Probably just about any Texas wildflower mix?

Cactus seed mixes may work as well, but it'd be a long time before you
saw any results!

A few mixed pots of small cactus might be cute, and would not be that
difficult to plant.

4" pots of Lantana and Salvia coccinea are also easy to get and both
grow well! My S. coccinea is getting VERY large now and I just got it
last summer. :-)

"escape" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:13:21 GMT, "Carlos" opined:

I have a very rocky escarpment, some loose rocks, some large areas of
limestone. Any flowers that are drought and heat resistant that will grow
in
rocky soil? Get's full unprotected sun all day.

Blackfoot daisy
lavender
rosemary
lantana
Salvia gregii
red yucca
agaves
prickly pear cactus
coreopsis spp
most plants which are silver leaved, like artemesia's

K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 19-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Carlos

Ok thanks!

"escape" wrote in message
I can come plant it for you too!

Well, certainly red yucca does very well from seed, as does coreopsis spp.
No
seed will do as well if you don't keep it moist till it germinates and
gets a
good start.

For this reason I recommend plants you have grown from seed first, then
transplant them to the condition you mention. However, your effort would
be
futile if you think you don't have to first establish plants by giving
them some
nurturing. In nature, sure, these germinate on their own and bloom and
grow.
However, only under certain conditions. Nothing is random, but right
conditions
must be given, even for native species.

With that in mind, I suggest you do a web search for what you are looking
for as
this can go round and round and round.

Victoria

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:04:30 GMT, "Carlos" opined:

"escape" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:13:21 GMT, "Carlos" opined:

I have a very rocky escarpment, some loose rocks, some large areas of
limestone. Any flowers that are drought and heat resistant that will
grow
in
rocky soil? Get's full unprotected sun all day.

Blackfoot daisy
lavender
rosemary
lantana
Salvia gregii
red yucca
agaves
prickly pear cactus
coreopsis spp
most plants which are silver leaved, like artemesia's

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a
friend?

Old 20-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Carlos

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news any of the species below, you might have
learned that coreopsis can be seeded.

I didn't realize Victor was such a prick!

Old 20-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Grubber

"Carlos" wrote in message

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news

google
any of the species below, you might have
learned that coreopsis can be seeded.

I didn't realize Victor was such a prick!

New to Austin usenet?

Old 20-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Victor Martinez

Carlos wrote:
I didn't realize Victor was such a prick!

And I didn't realize you weren't only ignorant but lazy as well.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Pond Bottom: rocks or no rocks? JGW Ponds 61 17-08-2005 04:05 AM
Rocks -tree's in stone - polyester Ask me Australia 2 09-03-2003 05:59 PM
Big Rocks? BenignVanilla Ponds 5 08-03-2003 02:32 PM
Rocks in Filter? BenignVanilla Ponds 14 05-03-2003 05:03 PM
Plants on rocks Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 16-02-2003 09:22 PM