Old 17-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Planting a pineapple, rooting a cactus.

I have a pineapple top that I rooted in water and i think it may be ready to
plant. Full sun I guess? Soil is extremely sandy on S Padre Island. Like all
sand with a little organic but extremely loose. Also I have a part of a
cactus that budded off of another and fell off. I read something about
cutting off a part of the bottom and letting it dry out before rooting? Too
much sun turns it yellow? How to know when to water?

Old 18-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Cowboy

s wrote:
I have a pineapple top that I rooted in water and i think it may be ready to
plant. Full sun I guess? Soil is extremely sandy on S Padre Island. Like all
sand with a little organic but extremely loose. Also I have a part of a
cactus that budded off of another and fell off. I read something about
cutting off a part of the bottom and letting it dry out before rooting? Too
much sun turns it yellow? How to know when to water?

The cactus budded and fell off the parent, so it doesn't anything but
dirt. If the parent is living in the yard, and that's where you're
planting the pup, you hardly ever water. If they are in clay pots, with
proper well draining soil you can water weekly in the summer, never in
winter. If in plastic it depends on the dirt - porus, sandy soil can
also be watered weekly. Cactus like water mixed with dry-outs. They
don't like moisture with cold weather. For the most part.

Cowboy
Old 18-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Katra

In article ,
"s" wrote:

I have a pineapple top that I rooted in water and i think it may be ready to
plant. Full sun I guess? Soil is extremely sandy on S Padre Island. Like all
sand with a little organic but extremely loose. Also I have a part of a
cactus that budded off of another and fell off. I read something about
cutting off a part of the bottom and letting it dry out before rooting? Too
much sun turns it yellow? How to know when to water?

Gotcha via e-mail luv! :-)
Hope that helped???

I've personally found cactus to be one of the easiest things in the
WORLD to propagate via cuttings!

Pineapple for me, I just leave about 1/2" of the fruit when I cut it,
let it dry for a day or two and stick it right into the soil. I had a
mini-pineapple that failed, but every large one from the store I've ever
planted has done well!

Funny thing, one of the ones I have growing right now was one that I had
thrown into the chicken compost last summer. Evidently the chickens had
scratched it thru the wire into the yard and it was kicking around the
yard under the clothesline for probably at least a month. It had
shriveled up and looked dead, I just never got around to picking it up
and putting it into the trash...

We had had a LOT of rain last summer and one day I noted that poor
little neglected pineapple top had a new green top while it was laying
on it's side on the ground!

I took pity on it and stuck it in a pot of soil from the henyard, and
it's taken off nicely in the greenhouse. ;-)

Pretty tough little bromeliads!
--
K.
Old 19-03-2005, 09:47 PM

I have a pineapple top that I rooted in water and i think it may be ready
plant. Full sun I guess? Soil is extremely sandy on S Padre Island. Like
all
sand with a little organic but extremely loose. Also I have a part of a
cactus that budded off of another and fell off. I read something about
cutting off a part of the bottom and letting it dry out before rooting?
Too
much sun turns it yellow? How to know when to water?

Gotcha via e-mail luv! :-)
Hope that helped???

Yes thanks sweetie )

I've personally found cactus to be one of the easiest things in the
WORLD to propagate via cuttings!

This is my first try with cacti. I am good with most anything else though
lol.

Pineapple for me, I just leave about 1/2" of the fruit when I cut it,
let it dry for a day or two and stick it right into the soil. I had a
mini-pineapple that failed, but every large one from the store I've ever
planted has done well!

Wow cool I rooted mine in water I will try the soil rooting next time.
There's plenty of water in the top on these things heh.

Funny thing, one of the ones I have growing right now was one that I had
thrown into the chicken compost last summer. Evidently the chickens had
scratched it thru the wire into the yard and it was kicking around the
yard under the clothesline for probably at least a month. It had
shriveled up and looked dead, I just never got around to picking it up
and putting it into the trash...

We had had a LOT of rain last summer and one day I noted that poor
little neglected pineapple top had a new green top while it was laying
on it's side on the ground!

What a hoot! Plants are tough.

I took pity on it and stuck it in a pot of soil from the henyard, and
it's taken off nicely in the greenhouse. ;-)

Pretty tough little bromeliads!

Yep. Wouldn't want to be hit in the head with a grown up one )
I think the pineapple would win.

S.

--
K.