Old 26-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Jeff Walther

Default Hail!

So who did and didn't get hail tonight (3/25/2005) and approximately where
are you located?

We're near Spicewood Springs and Mopac (a little west of there) and we had
1" hail for several minutes.

It looks like it totaled the 50 linear feet of peas I had going (about
1.5' tall) and the spinach. The lettuce looks like it may recover though
at the moment it's more or less packed in ice balls and I'm not sure if it
will melt fast enough to avoid freeze damage.

The asparagus is smashed, but should recover from the roots. The broccoli
is similarly in flinders and I'm not sure if it will recover before it's
too hot.

The potted plants on the deck were smashed, packed in ice, and the planter
cups demolished. Fortunately, I had the seedling tomatoes and peppers
inside, so I only lost four each more mature tomatoes and peppers, some
strawberries I was going to plant tomorrow and my basil adn cilantro.

The advocados are stripped of foliage--and they were looking so nice and
leafy this year. Sigh.

I've never seen a storm like that in Austin, and I've been here since '75
with a three year break from 84 - 87.

--
A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.
Old 26-03-2005, 06:28 AM
jOhN

Jeff Walther wrote:
[...]

Heavy rain only in my part of Buttercup Creek, Cedar Park
Old 26-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Victor Martinez

Jeff Walther wrote:
So who did and didn't get hail tonight (3/25/2005) and approximately where
are you located?

We got pounded hard with marble size hail. We're near Hancock Drive and
Shoal Creek.
We didn't get too much damage, mostly flowers blown off the peaches
Our sunflower seedlings were protected by a table, since the wind was so
strong the hail was hitting with a very sharp angle.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 26-03-2005, 04:09 PM
charliekilo

Great Hills/Arboretum area...lots of pea sized hail - enough to almost
completely cover my front porch. And, a fair amount of wind damage - saw
quite a few shingles in the road around my neighborhood.

My wife and I were coming home from dinner and pulled into the garage about
20 seconds before the hail started.

Old 26-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Kathleen

Nothing in Wimberley either.

I've never seen a storm like that in Austin, and I've been here since

'75
with a three year break from 84 - 87.

Heavy rain only in my part of Buttercup Creek, Cedar Park

San Marcos...

Odd, no rain, no hail!

Heard of tornado watches in both Travis and Bastrop counties tho'?
We are in Hays.

We had to water today.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train

the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id
=katra

Old 27-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Eric Gray

"charliekilo" wrote in message
om...
Great Hills/Arboretum area...lots of pea sized hail - enough to almost
completely cover my front porch. And, a fair amount of wind damage - saw
quite a few shingles in the road around my neighborhood.

My wife and I were coming home from dinner and pulled into the garage
about 20 seconds before the hail started.

Liberty Hill definetly had hail!

Old 27-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Victor Martinez

Victor Martinez wrote:
We didn't get too much damage, mostly flowers blown off the peaches

I spoke too soon. I noticed yesterday all the amaryllis blooms were
destroyed.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 27-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Rick

Jeff Walther wrote:
So who did and didn't get hail tonight (3/25/2005) and approximately where
are you located?

We had about 4-5 minutes of hail, with some up to 2 or 2 1/2 inches!
Came through the living room window glass but was stopped by the drapes.

We're in a duplex near 183 & Lamar/I-35 off Georgian.

Because of the dogs and numerous large hackberrys, my garden is only a 2
foot wide flowerbed along the front and end of the duplex. It shredded
most of my lillies, but a wild (or naturalised) gladiola from East Texas
mostly got by ok. The lemon grass wasn't damaged, nor the cilantro, sage
or oregano, not enough to set back much anyway. Tomatos another story.
My one large Brandywine was shredded, it's stalk torn in half and only
two leaves remining, those torn. One smaller Brandywine and two grape
cluster tomato plants were pounded totally to death - no trace remains.
Oddly, one small tomato plant - another grape cluster I believe, wasn't
touched at all. Most of my large potted plants survived, with minor
damage, as they are directly under the trees, so the hail may have had
some volocity broken on way down.

I've only experienced this bad of a hailstorm once in over 20 years here
in Austin.

But someone in Travis or the surrounding area will get hammered in any
goven year. I've pulled all my plants under cover and covered garden
plants with big plastic pots with rocks on top plenty of times without
any of the prophesied hall taking place. This time I didn't even know it
had clouded over until just before the hail started, and was totally
caught by surprise. I guess life happens.

Rick Shannon
Old 29-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Harold Robbins

Austin around N. Lamar and Rundberg Lane had an incredibly heavy
collection of hail about the size of a quarter. THere were mounds of it
collected in low areas the next morning at 8:30 of almost 18 inches
deep. Where it collected from falling off some business roofs, it was
about seven inches deep. Throughout northern Austin there were shredded
leaves and twigs everywhere.

Harold

Old 29-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:25:03 GMT, Harold Robbins
wrote:

Austin around N. Lamar and Rundberg Lane had an incredibly heavy
collection of hail about the size of a quarter. THere were mounds of it
collected in low areas the next morning at 8:30 of almost 18 inches
deep. Where it collected from falling off some business roofs, it was
about seven inches deep. Throughout northern Austin there were shredded
leaves and twigs everywhere.

That must have been the area where the birds were reported killed. I
did some work on a ranch west of Lake Travis that was hit by a hail
storm with really big hail several years ago. The hail shredded the
trees and killed about half of them, especially the junipers and cedar
elms. It must have done terrible damage to the birds, also. Even a
year later most of the birds were cavity nesters like wrens and
titmouse that might have been somewhat protected.

Rusty Mase
Old 29-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Harold Robbins

Rusty Mase wrote:

That must have been the area where the birds were reported killed. I
did some work on a ranch west of Lake Travis that was hit by a hail
storm with really big hail several years ago. The hail shredded the
trees and killed about half of them, especially the junipers and cedar
elms. It must have done terrible damage to the birds, also. Even a
year later most of the birds were cavity nesters like wrens and
titmouse that might have been somewhat protected.

Rusty Mase

I didn't see any birds (still don't) since hearing about hundreds of
birds killed in Austin. But I wondered the same thing.

Harold

Old 29-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Celeste Evans

My daughter told me that there were hundreds of dead grackles in the
area of Burnet road and 183 on Saturday. I was told that the birds
were all over the roads and you had no choice but to drive over the
disgusting mess. I did not however rush out to confirm.

Cea

Old 29-03-2005, 11:41 PM
charliekilo

"Harold Robbins" wrote in message
news

Rusty Mase wrote:

That must have been the area where the birds were reported killed. I
did some work on a ranch west of Lake Travis that was hit by a hail
storm with really big hail several years ago. The hail shredded the
trees and killed about half of them, especially the junipers and cedar
elms. It must have done terrible damage to the birds, also. Even a
year later most of the birds were cavity nesters like wrens and
titmouse that might have been somewhat protected.

Rusty Mase

I didn't see any birds (still don't) since hearing about hundreds of birds
killed in Austin. But I wondered the same thing.

Harold

At least one survived...until this morning. My cat took care of that...yuck.
At least she, like all good hunters, eats what they kill.

Old 30-03-2005, 03:36 PM
dt

Celeste Evans wrote:

My daughter told me that there were hundreds of dead grackles in the
area of Burnet road and 183 on Saturday. I was told that the birds
were all over the roads and you had no choice but to drive over the
disgusting mess. I did not however rush out to confirm.

Cea

Hundreds of dead grackles???

Sounds like either:
a. a good start
b. a drop in the bucket

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Hail damaged Linden Scott Gingerich Gardening 0 13-05-2003 04:56 PM
WTB- ¾ Ton pickup- Pay cash Hail damage ok Chris Hagelstein Texas 0 12-05-2003 08:20 PM
Hail Stephen G United Kingdom 2 12-05-2003 02:12 PM
Hosta -- Hail Damage TYbarmea Gardening 3 03-05-2003 09:08 PM
Hail ! Terry Horton Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM