Old 10-05-2005, 08:49 PM
ceed

Default Mexican Lime in Austin?

Hi,

I live in Austin and purchased a Mexian Lime from a local nursery who
claims to only sell plants that are suited for our climate. This seems to
have been correct for everything we've purchased there over the years
until we recently picked up a Mexican Lime. Looking this one up it seems
it won't like the winters here at all. Has anyone here successfully been
growing this citrus here in Austin? It's so big that taking it in during
winter isn't an option, so it has to be able to cope outside.

--
//ceed
Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Gary Brady

ceed wrote:
Hi,

I live in Austin and purchased a Mexian Lime from a local nursery who
claims to only sell plants that are suited for our climate. This seems
to have been correct for everything we've purchased there over the
years until we recently picked up a Mexican Lime. Looking this one up
it seems it won't like the winters here at all. Has anyone here
successfully been growing this citrus here in Austin? It's so big that
taking it in during winter isn't an option, so it has to be able to
cope outside.

I believe you'll have to build a temporary greenhouse around it every
winter, with maybe a light inside on really chilly nights. Most citrus
is good down to about 26deg. Use pvc pipe and 6 mil poly plastic
sheeting. Several years ago, there was a news story of a family that
did this with a lemon tree that was planted the ground. Apparently, it
grew very large and bore lemons.

I have a Mexican lime, but I bring it into the sunroom in the winter.

Gary Brady
Old 11-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Jim Marrs

I agree with Gary. I have grown limes in pots for several years. I have
found that it is not so important to protect from the temperatures but keep
the frost off. If the temp does not get below 22-26 degrees I keep mine
under a patio cover. Colder than that for very long requires that I put it
in the greenhouse or garage.

Have Fun
Jim

"ceed"