Old 01-08-2005, 08:17 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Cucumber is gaining on me!

Hi,

I have a single 'Burpless Tasty Green' growing in a large pot on the patio.

It seems to develope cucmbers very rapidly, and they are always very long.

The seem to grow long and thin first, then suddenly fill out sideways.
This prevents me from picking them young.

Ideally I would like a shorter, stouter fruit so I can eat one in a couple
of sittings, instead of eating loads of cucumber to avoid waste.

At the moment I am averaging a large cucumber every two days, although this
tends to work out at two cucmbers every four days.

They taste really good; far better than shop bought.

However they do start to dry out quite quickly; I presume this is why they
wax the shop bought ones?

Some of the problem (?) may be due to the fact that the plant is all alone
in a large tub and is therefore very well fed, with no competition.

I suspect that in a few weeks I will be starting to wonder when the growing
season is going to taper off, or perhaps see people starting to avoid me as
I smile and produce an oversized cucumber.

I suppose I could pickle them, but I don't generally eat pickles.

At the moment it is not 'What shall I have for lunch' but 'What shall I have
with the cucumber for lunch' :-)

Still, better than not having enough.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 02-08-2005, 12:20 AM
cineman

Hi,
You could try the variety "petita" about half the length of normal , they
are F1 hybrid, all female so no problems with pollination
http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/cucu...ta-f1-633.aspx

or Superbel' http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/acatalog/0119in2cuc.html

there is a vriety i get from local nurseries just called mini cucumber but
not sure if that is the name or just description they put on it.

or this variety from Dobies garden centres
http://www.dobies.co.uk/
Cucumber Rocky F1

Produces large numbers of mini-cucumbers, 8-10cm (3-4") borne in
compact multiple clusters close to the main stem, with little side
branching. Can be grown successfully outdoors in many areas if planted
through black polythene to keep the roots warm. The crisp, nutritious fruits
are ideal for children's lunch boxes. An 'All Female' variety.

Features: Mini Variety. Maturing time from sowing approximately 12
weeks.
Culture Easy to grow and specially bred to provide 'one for a meal'
these varieties can be grown in a cool greenhouse in the usual way, or quite
easily be raised in 25cm (10") pots indoors before a large light window
providing this does not have a northerly aspect.
Hints & Tips: Greenhouse mini cucumbers can perform well outdoors
grown through black polythene. HEALTH BENEFITS: Refreshing, (96.4% water)
low in calories.

hope this is of some help to you

regards
Cineman

Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Klara

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes
I suspect that in a few weeks I will be starting to wonder when the
growing season is going to taper off, or perhaps see people starting to
avoid me as I smile and produce an oversized cucumber.

Ummm .. boggle ...

but if you google cucumber and recipe, you can find all kinds of ways of
boiling, frying, etc. your surplus cucumbers.
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-08-2005, 08:30 PM
andrewpreece

[...]

Make cucumber pickle, with mustard cress seeds and stuff. You don't have to
put
it in sandwiches like Branstons, it works fine with salads etc.

Andy

Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Bob Hobden

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote
[...]

We simply put any we, and our neighbours, can't eat back on the compost
heap. Eat the best and chuck the rest is our motto for any glut.

--
Regards
Bob