Old 02-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Cool polytunnel sought

anyone advice on suppliers or where to find second hand? I am looking for a 20'x10'
Old 02-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Mike

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

anyone advice on suppliers or where to find second hand? I am looking
for a 20'x10'

Having had a couple in the past, I would advise against buying a second
hand, especially the poly cover bit. If you 'do' find a second hand one,
first check out the price of a replacement poly cover. It might be cheaper
to buy new.

Cannot help with details as I had mine in the late 70's early 80's. I did
buy it from Transatlantic Plastics here on the Isle of Wight, and they now
call themselves Plastic by Post and have a web site.

Mike

Old 02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Teleman

"Mike" wrote in message

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

anyone advice on suppliers or where to find second hand? I am looking
for a 20'x10'

Having had a couple in the past, I would advise against buying a second
hand, especially the poly cover bit. If you 'do' find a second hand one,
first check out the price of a replacement poly cover. It might be cheaper
to buy new.

Cannot help with details as I had mine in the late 70's early 80's. I did
buy it from Transatlantic Plastics here on the Isle of Wight, and they now
call themselves Plastic by Post and have a web site.

Mike

have you tried Ebay?
When i was looking for a greenhouse on there polytunnels were all over it

Teleman

Old 02-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Mike" wrote in message

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

anyone advice on suppliers or where to find second hand? I am looking
for a 20'x10'

Having had a couple in the past, I would advise against buying a second
hand, especially the poly cover bit. If you 'do' find a second hand one,
first check out the price of a replacement poly cover. It might be cheaper
to buy new.

Cannot help with details as I had mine in the late 70's early 80's. I did
buy it from Transatlantic Plastics here on the Isle of Wight, and they now
call themselves Plastic by Post and have a web site.

Mike

Fordingbridge and Northern are both OK makes I would not but second hand,
you would need a new cover anyway and that's the dearest bit.
Don't skimp on the hot spot tape - its worth it.
remember that covers are designed to do 64' tunnels normally, so multiples
of that length are more economic cover wise (I have 2 X 32' tunnels) If you
can fit it in, the wider ones give more usable space as the 10' and 14'
widths are difficult to grow to the edges (especially if you are over 5'!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Sue Begg

In message ,
Teleman writes

"Mike" wrote in message

"JohnOGroats" wrote in message

anyone advice on suppliers or where to find second hand? I am looking
for a 20'x10'

Having had a couple in the past, I would advise against buying a second
hand, especially the poly cover bit. If you 'do' find a second hand one,
first check out the price of a replacement poly cover. It might be cheaper
to buy new.

Cannot help with details as I had mine in the late 70's early 80's. I did
buy it from Transatlantic Plastics here on the Isle of Wight, and they now
call themselves Plastic by Post and have a web site.

Mike

have you tried Ebay?
When i was looking for a greenhouse on there polytunnels were all over it

Teleman

Bought mine from Highland Poly tunnels in Inverness (They advertise in
Scotads if you get it up there) . It arrived within a few days, the only
downside are the assembly instructions which are rather basic. .We
improvised and it works fine :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Old 20-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Teleman

[/i][/color]
Bought mine from Highland Poly tunnels in Inverness (They advertise in
Scotads if you get it up there) . It arrived within a few days, the only
downside are the assembly instructions which are rather basic. .We
improvised and it works fine :-))
--
Sue

Thanks Sue I have been in touch with Highland Polytunnels and they have taken an age to get back to me. Their brochure is just a colour print from an inkjet printer and is squint on some pages. I was thinking of the 14'x24' tunnel.

What did you buy and what kind of fixing in the ground did you use? Base rail or soil over plastic? Did you order the doors as an extra or did you make your own?

I have loads more questions about raised beds and cropping...

Hope you see this

Eoghan
Old 22-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Sue Begg

Hi, I got the 14 x 24 because it was the biggest that would fit in the
sheltered spot that I had in mind for it. I have doors at each end (came
with the kit)
At the moment it is fastened to old roof trusses laid on the concrete
ground because I knew it would have to be dismantled while the house
roof was done. I wound the bottom of the cover around 2"x3" timbers and
then fastened them down to the roof trusses (about 9" x 3")
It has survived a winter without any problems at all.
At the moment I don't have raised beds in it (again because it will have
to be moved) I grow everything in pots and used it extensively to start
off summer bedding using my rather fiendish home made propagator. I made
this using a large 10ft long stainless steel table that I had
'acquired'. A board was suspended 2ft below the table top and 4 of the
tiny round paraffin heaters were placed on the shelf. A 1" layer of sand
on the shelf and it gives very gentle bottom heat to seed trays and
plants. It worked really well. As an added bonus it helped to keep the
whole tunnel frost free for the winter as well
What did you buy and what kind of fixing in the ground did you use?
Base rail or soil over plastic? Did you order the doors as an extra or
did you make your own?

I have loads more questions about raised beds and cropping...

Hope you see this

Eoghan

--
JohnOGroats

--
Sue Begg

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!