Old 11-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Anne Marshall

Default New Garden drainage

I am having a problem with the above - any ideas?

Old 11-03-2003, 03:20 PM
DaveDay34

I am having a problem with the above - any ideas?

Lots of ideas, but maybe you could give us a better idea of your particular
problem.

Dave.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
DaveDay34 wrote:
I am having a problem with the above - any ideas?

Lots of ideas, but maybe you could give us a better idea of your particular
problem.

Yes indeed.

Big garden? Little garden?
Lawn? Paved areas?
Standing water or soggy?
Sloped or level-ish?

???

Sharon
Old 11-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Anne Marshall

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I am having a problem with the above - any ideas?

Lots of ideas, but maybe you could give us a better idea of your

particular
problem.
Dave.

Hi, My garden has never been cultivated as it was previously a garage.
The ground is extremely wet - most of bulbs planted last Autumn have
rotted. I dug in quite a lot of horse manure in the Autumn and added
some topsoil. The garden is small 30' x 20'. I have a lawn with a
border varying from 2' wide to 4' wide. The garden slopes very slight
away from a patio.

Any help greatly received.
Anne.

Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Tony Morgan

In message , Anne Marshall
] writes

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I am having a problem with the above - any ideas?

Lots of ideas, but maybe you could give us a better idea of your

particular
problem.
Dave.

Hi, My garden has never been cultivated as it was previously a garage.
The ground is extremely wet - most of bulbs planted last Autumn have
rotted. I dug in quite a lot of horse manure in the Autumn and added
some topsoil. The garden is small 30' x 20'. I have a lawn with a
border varying from 2' wide to 4' wide.

What sort of soil? If it's clay (it sounds as if it might be if it's
extremely wet as you say), then you need sharp sand dug in to help
drainage. Clay is the worst soil for drainage.

The garden slopes very slight
away from a patio.

The dreaded patio! All that area draining the rainfall into your garden
:-)

I'm a great believer in French drains. Much less effort than a
soak-away. Better, a French drain "distributes" the drainage. Dig a
spade-width around the area and fill with river gravel. 6" deep is OK, a
spade deep is better. Even just 3" deep helps.

Raising the beds with some (non-clay) topsoil will help too.
--
Tony Morgan

Old 12-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Anne Marshall" ] contains these words:

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
I am having a problem with the above - any ideas?

Lots of ideas, but maybe you could give us a better idea of your

particular
problem.
Dave.

Hi, My garden has never been cultivated as it was previously a garage.
The ground is extremely wet - most of bulbs planted last Autumn have
rotted. I dug in quite a lot of horse manure in the Autumn and added
some topsoil.

Look at gardens either side of you to see if they are waterlogged. If
not, one possibility is that the ex-garage area isn't draining because
it's so heavily compacted by being driven over; it may even have a layer
of hardcore beneath it.

Janet.

Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Chris

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

The message
from "Anne Marshall" ] contains these words:

Hi, My garden has never been cultivated as it was previously a garage.
The ground is extremely wet - most of bulbs planted last Autumn have
rotted. I dug in quite a lot of horse manure in the Autumn and added
some topsoil.

Look at gardens either side of you to see if they are waterlogged. If
not, one possibility is that the ex-garage area isn't draining because
it's so heavily compacted by being driven over; it may even have a layer
of hardcore beneath it.

You could ask a builder to excavate a test hole to see what the
situation really is. If there is a load of hardcore, it may be worth
employing a contractor to remove it all - and then to replace it with
good quality topsoil.
You might even dig the test hole yourself - if this seems either fun or,
at least, a better option than going for a workout at the gym!
--
Chris

New Lawn Drainage Problem! gmb27 Lawns 6 02-04-2013 08:04 PM
Drainage and new lawn golfmeghol Lawns 5 12-09-2012 05:08 PM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 05:42 PM
Drainage for garden in London Andy Coleman United Kingdom 10 25-03-2003 08:08 PM
New Garden Drainage Anne Marshall United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 06:20 PM