Old 04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
les

Default Clove Oil and Ants

I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some diluted
clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly had the desired
effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

My question is, what effect does clove oil have on the roots of plants or on
lawns? Am I able to sprinkle a diluted solution directly onto the soil or
grass?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Les

Old 04-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:25:50 GMT, "les"
wrote:

I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some diluted
clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly had the desired
effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

My question is, what effect does clove oil have on the roots of plants or on
lawns? Am I able to sprinkle a diluted solution directly onto the soil or
grass?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Now that's an interesting experiment, but in that situation I would
have used boiling water. Where plant roots are concerned I would not
be so happy using it without further info!

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Tickettyboo

In ,
les whispered softly in my ear...:
I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some
diluted clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly had
the desired effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

Lurking..and wondering what happens when they all come to the surface?
Do they die..or just leg it to an area that doesn't have clove oil and
settle down to set up home again?

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 04-08-2005, 07:41 PM
les

"Tickettyboo" wrote in message
In ,
les whispered softly in my ear...:
I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some
diluted clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly had
the desired effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

Lurking..and wondering what happens when they all come to the surface? Do
they die..or just leg it to an area that doesn't have clove oil and settle
down to set up home again?

--
Ticketty᧧

The vast majority died within a few seconds/minutes. Some however scampered
round in circles and I am not sure what became of them.

Les

Old 04-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Tickettyboo wrote:
In ,
les whispered softly in my ear...:
I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured

some
diluted clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly

had
the desired effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

Lurking..and wondering what happens when they all come to the

surface?
Do they die..or just leg it to an area that doesn't have clove oil

and
settle down to set up home again?

Seems a strange idea to me. I'd stick with something the ants will
take into the nest: back to borax, either as Nippon liquid, or in the
home-made version somebody mentioned upthread.

--
Mike.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Tickettyboo

In ,
les whispered softly in my ear...:
"Tickettyboo" wrote in message
In ,
les whispered softly in my ear...:
I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some
diluted clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly
had the desired effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the
surface.

Lurking..and wondering what happens when they all come to the
surface? Do they die..or just leg it to an area that doesn't have
clove oil and settle down to set up home again?

The vast majority died within a few seconds/minutes. Some however
scampered round in circles and I am not sure what became of them.

Probably just got dizzy :-) Thanks for answering my question

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 05-08-2005, 11:13 AM

is it the same borax as is used as brazing flux?

Old 05-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Tumbleweed

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:13:34 GMT,
wrote:

is it the same borax as is used as brazing flux?

yes and it is used in water softeners.

blimey it sounds as multi-purpose as neem oil and aloe vera. I bet it cures
cancer as well............OMG it does!
http://www.aim-digest.com/gateway/pa...cles/boron.htm

Just take all 3 and live forever, plus never be bothered by ants either!

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Tumbleweed

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:44:59 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:13:34 GMT,
wrote:

is it the same borax as is used as brazing flux?

yes and it is used in water softeners.

blimey it sounds as multi-purpose as neem oil and aloe vera. I bet it
cures
cancer as well............OMG it does!
http://www.aim-digest.com/gateway/pa...cles/boron.htm

Just take all 3 and live forever, plus never be bothered by ants either!

and you can wash your undies in it and cure ants in the pants.

LOL!

Old 06-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Rick

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:25:50 GMT, "les" wrote:

I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some diluted
clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly had the desired
effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

My question is, what effect does clove oil have on the roots of plants or on
lawns? Am I able to sprinkle a diluted solution directly onto the soil or
grass?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Les

Well I poured the dregs of a sprayer containing clove oil and water onto a ant hill in the lawn
about two months ago ( I know, stupid or what?). It got rid of the ants all right, but it also
killed the grass as well. In fact there is still a brown patch the size of a dinner plate. I'm
waiting to see how long it takes the grass to grow back. Incidentally, at the same time a tree
feller spilled petrol on the lawn, which killed the grass as well, but that has now regenerated so
you cannot see where it was.

So, beware, clove oil is good, but it will kill plants if they are overdosed.

Rick...

Old 06-08-2005, 07:35 AM
les

Well I poured the dregs of a sprayer containing clove oil and water onto a
ant hill in the lawn
about two months ago ( I know, stupid or what?). It got rid of the ants
all right, but it also
killed the grass as well. In fact there is still a brown patch the size of
a dinner plate. I'm
waiting to see how long it takes the grass to grow back. Incidentally, at
the same time a tree
feller spilled petrol on the lawn, which killed the grass as well, but
that has now regenerated so
you cannot see where it was.

So, beware, clove oil is good, but it will kill plants if they are
overdosed.

Rick...

Thanks for the advice Rick. I will use it sparingly.

Les

Old 10-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , les
writes
I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some diluted
clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly had the desired
effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

I think that was in response to the fluid as I got the same response
when poured on warm water.

I have tried clove oil as well but got no more ants than with the water.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-08-2005, 12:35 PM
p.k.

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , les
writes
I have just followed the advice of a previous poster and poured some
diluted clove oil in between the paving on my patio. It certainly
had the desired effect and hundreds of ants struggled to the surface.

I think that was in response to the fluid as I got the same response
when poured on warm water.

I have tried clove oil as well but got no more ants than with the
water.
Janet

a drop of neat armilllatox (as a soap to help the ants clean their nest)
works very well. It obviously keep them busy as I never see them again.

pk