Old 05-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Andy Atkinson

Default Weed Killer

I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top. I used
weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with things
sprouting through it.

Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs to be
fairly powerful.

Andy

Old 05-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Tumbleweed

"Andy Atkinson" wrote in message
I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top. I
used weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with things
sprouting through it.

Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs to be
fairly powerful.

Andy

are they rooting in the gravel or from beneath it?

if the former, pull them up, if the latter "Pathclear"

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Andy Atkinson

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Andy Atkinson" wrote in message
I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top. I
used weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with things
sprouting through it.

Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs to be
fairly powerful.

Andy

are they rooting in the gravel or from beneath it?

if the former, pull them up, if the latter "Pathclear"

--
Tumbleweed

They are beneath the gravle and coming through the sheeting. I was
considering sodium chlorate to kill them off for good. Any opinons?

Andy

Old 05-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Tumbleweed

"Andy Atkinson" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Andy Atkinson" wrote in message
I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top. I
used weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with things
sprouting through it.

Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs to be
fairly powerful.

Andy

are they rooting in the gravel or from beneath it?

if the former, pull them up, if the latter "Pathclear"

--
Tumbleweed

They are beneath the gravle and coming through the sheeting. I was
considering sodium chlorate to kill them off for good. Any opinons?

Andy

can you still buy that? I thought it was banned? Anyway, i'd go for
pathclear.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:06 PM
BoyPete

Andy Atkinson wrote:
I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top.
I used weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with
things sprouting through it.

Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs to
be fairly powerful.

Andy

When I 'stoned' a border a few years ago, I first put down a layer of pea
gravel Then sprinkled cement over it and sprinkled 'gently' with water. I
then covered with my choice of stoned. I have no weeds at all.
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 05-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Draven

[...]

Sodium Chlorate is still available.
It's the one to use.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Mike Lyle

Draven wrote:
[...]

Yes and no. As a "simple" chemical, it's what I'd use for biggish
bare areas: I've done it before, and I'll probably do it again. But
it does hang about in the soil, and may drain down to places you
don't want it. It's not good to let it into watercourses. "Pathclear"
contains either 2-4-D or Paraquat (forgotten which, I'm afraid, but
the info is there on the Web): if you handle these according to the
book they're pretty good, but they're still suspect -- even Paraquat,
which usually breaks down quickly. But amateurs, like poor African
farmers, handle these things badly: they overdose, and expose
themselves and sometimes the children to unnecessary skin and lung
contact. And for what? A tiny suburban patch.

For a sensible single application I wouldn't actually worry much
about either. But the blunt fact is that very few European hobby
gardeners should ever need to use these things more than once, if
ever. Either you're a gardener or you're not. Dependence on
herbicides is another symptom of make-over gardening. Without the
so-called "weed-proof" membranes, you could just get the weeds out
without fear of damaging the membrane, which was meant to stop the
weeds in the first place! .

There is no such thing as gardening without weeding. A pot of
geraniums on a balcony will get unwelcome visitors. Once the garden's
established, the weeding shouldn't be a big problem, and it's a
perfectly pleasant activity anyhow: it's what gardeners do.

--
Mike.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle wrote:
Draven wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Andy Atkinson" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Andy Atkinson" wrote in

message
[...]

PS. Boiling water kills weeds as well as ant nests. But I can't see
it doing the trick on a dock without numerous repetitions. Docks are
actually easy to pull up when the soil's moist: dandelions usually
break off, I'm afraid.

--
Mike.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Martin Brown

Andy Atkinson wrote:

I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top. I used
weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with things
sprouting through it.

Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs to be
fairly powerful.

What sort of weeds are punching through the weed proof fabric? I haven't
seen any that could get through the stuff I put down in my mother in
laws garden. Even the toughest thistles could only get out after finding
a seam or a planting hole.

I can believe bamboo might puncture it, but not much else.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Martin Brown
writes
Andy Atkinson wrote:

I recently dug up my lawn and put gravel down with pots over the top.
I used weed-proof fabric but it seems to have doen little good with
things sprouting through it.
Can anyone recommend something to kill the weeds underneath? Needs
to be fairly powerful.

What sort of weeds are punching through the weed proof fabric? I
haven't seen any that could get through the stuff I put down in my
mother in laws garden. Even the toughest thistles could only get out
after finding a seam or a planting hole.

I can believe bamboo might puncture it, but not much else.

Regards,
Martin Brown

I have had couch grass come through it, but it was cheap fabric and so
probably a bit flimsy
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 PM

Tumbleweed wrote:

They are beneath the gravle and coming through the sheeting. I was
considering sodium chlorate to kill them off for good. Any opinons?

Andy

can you still buy that? I thought it was banned? Anyway, i'd go for
pathclear.

Sodium Chlorate is still available, I have used both it and Pathclear
on our gravel drive and neither works very well. We must have tough
weeds or something, it may be that tre drive slopes and is very well
drained and thus the weedkiller gets washed out very quickly.

--
Chris Green