Old 05-08-2005, 05:09 PM
shorty

Default Forgotten plant name - any help plz

Its low growing approx 2ft tall max, holly type leaves, masses of
juicey blackcurrant type fruit but without the tassle.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/plant.jpg
Old 05-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
shorty writes:
| Its low growing approx 2ft tall max, holly type leaves, masses of
| juicey blackcurrant type fruit but without the tassle.
|
| http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/plant.jpg

Mahonia. I looked at the JPG only to confirm - it is very
distinctive. There are several species, but that looks like
M. aquifolium (also called Berberis aquifolium), a.k.a. the
Oregon grape.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:23 PM
shorty

But Mahonia aquifolium is listed as growing to over 2m tall, which yes
my Mahonia that I have always known as a Mahonia certainly does grow
to that height and is very erect.

But this plant only grows to 2ft tall max and has a spreading habit,
so would this be Mahonia aquifolium 'Compactum'

Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Kay

In article , shorty
writes
But Mahonia aquifolium is listed as growing to over 2m tall,

Where?
I've seen it described as 'up to 2m' which is not quite the same. But I
don't think I've seen it growing anywhere near that. Couple of feet more
like.

--
Kay

Old 05-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , shorty
writes
But Mahonia aquifolium is listed as growing to over 2m tall,

Where?
I've seen it described as 'up to 2m' which is not quite the same.

But
I don't think I've seen it growing anywhere near that. Couple of

feet
more like.

[...]

Nick referred to the name "Oregon grape". I've often wondered if this
was a misleading name, or if the berries really are edible. And if
they are, are they eatable?

--
Mike.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Nick referred to the name "Oregon grape". I've often wondered if this
was a misleading name, or if the berries really are edible. And if
they are, are they eatable?

I believe that the answers are yes and marginally, respectively.
Most Berberis berries (it allied genus) are edible, but only a few
are worth eating.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

In article ,
shorty writes:
| Its low growing approx 2ft tall max, holly type leaves, masses of
| juicey blackcurrant type fruit but without the tassle.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/plant.jpg

Mahonia. I looked at the JPG only to confirm - it is very
distinctive. There are several species, but that looks like
M. aquifolium (also called Berberis aquifolium), a.k.a. the
Oregon grape.

My Oregon grape is around six feet...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Nick referred to the name "Oregon grape". I've often wondered if this
was a misleading name, or if the berries really are edible. And if
they are, are they eatable?

Yes. Not a lot of flavour but quite sharp. They make a good jelly for
eating with venison or lamb.

The pips are a bit gritty.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Kay

In article , VivienB
writes
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:11:12 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , shorty
writes
But Mahonia aquifolium is listed as growing to over 2m tall,

Where?
I've seen it described as 'up to 2m' which is not quite the same. But I
don't think I've seen it growing anywhere near that. Couple of feet more
like.

Our Mahonias need moderately fierce annual pruning where we need to
keep them down to about 1m.

Is that M aquifolium or one of the other species? M aquifolium seems to
be relatively out of favour at the moment, and you don't see it around
as often.

--
Kay

Old 07-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
Its low growing approx 2ft tall max, holly type leaves, masses of
juicey blackcurrant type fruit but without the tassle.

http://www.balesfield.co.uk/dump/plant.jpg
It is certainly a Mahonia. I didn't know that the berries are fit for human consumption, but I do know that the birds love them.
It is not a plant that I find 'attractive' and can see why it is 'out of favour' but it does have extraordinary plantability in a hedgerow or a boundary. It becomes a useful backdrop plant for a border if kept in check as its flower spikes are a perfect spring yellow blooming higher against an otherwise dull fence or boring green hedge.
Keep it but don't let it grow rampant if you don't have the space.