Old 07-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Hazel

Default Filbert

What is the likelyhood of me getting filbert (c.maxima) nuts, bought fresh
from the greengrocers , to germinate?
Is the filbert self fertile?
Do they come true from the nut, I am thinking of the purple one here ?

Hazel

Old 07-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Hazel wrote:
What is the likelyhood of me getting filbert (c.maxima) nuts, bought fresh
from the greengrocers , to germinate?

Fairly good. I don't think that radiation treatment is legal for
nuts.

Is the filbert self fertile?

Dunno but, if you are growing from seed, you can plant two or three.

Do they come true from the nut, I am thinking of the purple one here ?

Dunno but unlikely. Most such varieties come partially true, at best.
You could well end up with a lot of green, some tinted ones and a
very few purple ones. That is a wild guess, so could well be wrong
in this case.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Martin Sykes

"Hazel" wrote in message
What is the likelyhood of me getting filbert (c.maxima) nuts, bought fresh
from the greengrocers , to germinate?
Is the filbert self fertile?
Do they come true from the nut, I am thinking of the purple one here ?

Don't know about germinating a nut, but corylus maxima purpurea throws up
loads of shoots and it's easy to separate them.

I guess it is partly self-fertile as I've had a few nuts off it the last
couple of years and I think it's the only one around here but I expect you
get a much better crop if you've got another nearby.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
shorty

Hazels nuts grow everwhere, well everywhere where squirrels haven't
already found them.

The dear old squirrels gather a few nuts and bury them for winter
food. Only trouble is they very often cannot remember where they have
left them, and the the next spring the nuts start growing.

There are a number of different varieties of hazel in the UK (Cosford
Cob, Kentish Cob (Lambert's Filbert). Pearson's Prolific (Nottingham)
that are used for production. The native Corylus avellana is not used
for production, even thou some years a good crop can occur.

But I believe most on sale are imported from the states ???

Filbert Sonia Van Tassel Gardening 6 26-11-2005 08:30 PM
Contorted filbert Richard Evans North Carolina 3 20-09-2005 06:40 PM
Filbert Chris United Kingdom 3 26-05-2004 06:23 PM
Filbert tree dying? Chris Chandler Lawns 3 16-05-2004 04:06 PM