Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 PM
wally

Default Hydrangea

I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Sacha

On 8/8/05 20:47, in article , "wally"
wrote:

I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

Too much shade, too little water, perhaps?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Draven

"wally" wrote in message
I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?

Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 PM
wally

.uk...
wrote:

I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

Too much shade, too little water, perhaps?
--

It gets the same shade/light as the other one and
is watered the same.

Wally

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 09-08-2005, 10:31 PM
wally

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"wally" wrote in message
I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?

Yes I did, quite a lot, was that not a good thing ??

Wally

Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Kate

"wally" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"wally" wrote in message
I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?

Yes I did, quite a lot, was that not a good thing ??

Wally

They don't flower if they have been pruned that year, it will be fine next
year if you leave it alone

Kate

Old 10-08-2005, 08:22 PM
wally

"Kate" wrote in message

"wally" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"wally" wrote in message
I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?

Yes I did, quite a lot, was that not a good thing ??

Wally

They don't flower if they have been pruned that year, it will be fine next
year if you leave it alone

Kate

Thank you all for the help.

Wally

Old 10-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Draven

"wally" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"wally" wrote in message
I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?

Yes I did, quite a lot, was that not a good thing ??

Wally

They flower on last years growth, which you've pruned away.
Leave it and next year it will be a picture.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 PM
doug

"Draven" wrote in message

"wally" wrote in message

"Draven" wrote in message
o.uk...

"wally" wrote in message
I have two Hydrangeas Growing in my garden.
One is flowering beautifully, but the other one,
although it looks to be the healthier one of the
two and has loads of leaves hasn't a flower
in sight.
Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

TIA,

Wally

Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?

Yes I did, quite a lot, was that not a good thing ??

Wally

They flower on last years growth, which you've pruned away.
Leave it and next year it will be a picture.

***********
Quite so!.
Only prune when you lose the light from the streetlamps shining through your
front bedroom.window.
You wait until the new flowers are well established then you nip off the top
bit of the old
"blooms" which, are by then, brown , dry, dead and just little twig stumps.
They become very large bushes so you have to do something after about six
years.
I have left mine alone because they, - the plants, - are there because evil
vicious thugs have moved in next door.
Doug.

**********

Old 12-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
" Did you prune it all back in the Spring if so how much?
[/i][/color]
Yes I did, quite a lot, was that not a good thing ??

Wally

They don't flower if they have been pruned that year, it will be fine next
year if you leave it alone[/i][/color]
Obviously if you prune it down to the ground you won't get any flowers, however on last years stems there will be a number of shoots running up the stem. I've read in a book specifically on hydrangea's and it says the further down the stem you prune or the less shoots you leave on the stem the larger your flower heads will be by late summer, however it did warn that these stems with large flowers have a tendancy to droop due to the weight of the flower.

I haven't tried this myself so can't comment, but may try it next spring on one stem to see the difference in flower size

Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM