Old 09-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Marshal Anderson

Default Maintaining areas of chip/bark

Had my garden done over with areas of wood chip a while ago
(www.marshal.co.uk/garden.htm if you're really board!). In some areas
the wood has now rotted down to the point where things are begining to
grow in it - not the idea at all (

So, what sort of rolling program of maintainance do I need for this -
clearly I have to replace some of it - I started trying to seive out
the soil that's formed but that will take for ever. If the only option
is to replace the lot (which I'd rather avoid) are there ways of
treating it so it lasts longer?

TIA

Marshal
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Kay

In article , Marshal Anderson
writes
Had my garden done over with areas of wood chip a while ago
(www.marshal.co.uk/garden.htm if you're really board!). In some areas
the wood has now rotted down to the point where things are begining to
grow in it - not the idea at all (

So, what sort of rolling program of maintainance do I need for this -
clearly I have to replace some of it - I started trying to seive out
the soil that's formed but that will take for ever. If the only option
is to replace the lot (which I'd rather avoid) are there ways of
treating it so it lasts longer?

I'd suggest you use an alternative mulch, gravel or slate chips for
example.

--
Kay

Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Klara

In message , Marshal Anderson
writes
Had my garden done over with areas of wood chip a while ago
(www.marshal.co.uk/garden.htm if you're really board!). In some areas
the wood has now rotted down to the point where things are begining to
grow in it - not the idea at all (

So, what sort of rolling program of maintainance do I need for this -
clearly I have to replace some of it - I started trying to seive out
the soil that's formed but that will take for ever. If the only option
is to replace the lot (which I'd rather avoid) are there ways of
treating it so it lasts longer?

Cormaic used to post here. Sadly he doesn't any more, but his website is
invaluable:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/fabrics.htm

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 09-08-2005, 02:05 PM
shazzbat

"Marshal Anderson" wrote in
message ...
Had my garden done over with areas of wood chip a while ago
(www.marshal.co.uk/garden.htm if you're really board!). In some areas
the wood has now rotted down to the point where things are begining to

SNIP

I would rake up the old chips and compost them, hoe the weeds, and lay some
new chips, or mulch or whatever. There is a good range of stuff available
nowadays in a range of colours if that's what you want.

But any organic product is going to biodegrade eventually.

Steve

Old 09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Draven

"Marshal Anderson" wrote in
message ...
Had my garden done over with areas of wood chip a while ago
(www.marshal.co.uk/garden.htm if you're really board!). In some areas
the wood has now rotted down to the point where things are begining to
grow in it - not the idea at all (

So, what sort of rolling program of maintainance do I need for this -
clearly I have to replace some of it - I started trying to seive out
the soil that's formed but that will take for ever. If the only option
is to replace the lot (which I'd rather avoid) are there ways of
treating it so it lasts longer?

TIA

Marshal

What's my cat doing in your garden? ;O)

Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Trunky

bark chips (B&Q ultra el-cheapo) over wead-proof membrane is awesome, had a
front garden plot laid with this for 4 years, once yearly I add about a
quarter of the original amount of bark, possibly less. It tends to dry out
and blow away in the winter.

great job

low price HL1 & HL2 servers for rental
10 player private clanserver 12 quid!!
http://www.stressed-out.org - for details or #stressed on quakenet
CS Public #1, 195.242.236.6:27015 ff=on, awp=off trial public server
"Draven" wrote in message
.uk...

"Marshal Anderson" wrote in
message ...

Old 10-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Marshal Anderson

Thanks for the suggestions team.

Draven: There is no cat in the photographs - your cat is using mind
control to keep you in a state of Fear,Uncertainty and Doubt. Consult
a speciallist immediately.

For more info see: www.mycathatesyou.com/

Marshal

Old 14-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered User

Location: South Yorkshire
Question

[quote]Hi, Looks like you've worked hard in the garden. I did my garden last year, half lawn & half bark. I pressume you laid a liner under the bark? I also sprayed the ground with weedkiller first & now only have containers (less weeding).. I don't understand the soil in your bark? Where has it come from? All I do with mine is occationally rake over the trodden bits to even the coverage & a spray of weed killer on the offending weed when one appears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Anderson

Hi, Looks like you've worked hard in the garden. I did my garden last year, half lawn & half bark. I pressume you laid a liner under the bark? I also sprayed the ground with weedkiller first & now only have containers (less weeding).. I don't understand the soil in your bark? Where has it come from? All I do with mine is occationally rake over the trodden bits to even the coverage & a spray of weed killer on the offending weed when one appears
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining areas of chip/bark-garden-2005.jpg
Old 14-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Mike Lyle

offending weed when one appears. Marshal Anderson Wrote:

Hi, Looks like you've worked hard in the garden. I did my garden
last year, half lawn & half bark. I pressume you laid a liner

under
the bark? I also sprayed the ground with weedkiller first & now
only have containers (less weeding).. I don't understand the soil
in your bark? Where has it come from? All I do with mine is
occationally rake over the trodden bits to even the coverage & a
spray of weed killer on the offending weed when one appears

Filename: Garden 2005.jpg

Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2836|

Are you talking to yourself already? I do it, too, but I sense that
I'm a good bit older than you are. But if you have to use weedkiller
(for one weed, I think you said?) as well as membrane _and_ a mulch,
then there's something radically wrong with your system. Try
gardening instead! That way you'll also understand where the soil
comes from, as well as why that one weed appeared.

Another tip: if you use Google to find uk.rec.gardening, you won't
be stuck with gardenbanter

--
Mike.

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
bark chip in crown J Fortuna Orchids 4 26-05-2006 10:27 AM
do you have experience with tar and chip paving? postle Gardening 2 11-08-2005 02:56 PM
Bark Chip and Shady Plants Suggestions WRabbit United Kingdom 2 18-05-2005 03:27 PM
Bark chip area Glen Able United Kingdom 2 16-11-2004 01:11 PM