Old 11-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Kate Morgan

Default how to tell the age of a shrub ?

I have in my garden a Viburnum, it was in the garden when we bought the
house 7 years ago but it is much older than that It stands about 14/15
ft. high, the main trunk is about 12" and then it splits into two and
they both are 14" round. The reason I am asking is because this morning
I noticed that it is not looking at all well, the leaves are limp with a
slight curl down the edge, I have looked for bugs and/or disease but can
find nothing so it leads me to the decision that perhaps it has just
reached the natural end of its life.
Is there anything else I can look for?

kate
Old 11-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Kate Morgan

I have in my garden a Viburnum, it was in the garden when we bought the
house 7 years ago but it is much older than that It stands about 14/15
ft. high, the main trunk is about 12" and then it splits into two and
they both are 14" round. The reason I am asking is because this morning
I noticed that it is not looking at all well, the leaves are limp with a
slight curl down the edge, I have looked for bugs and/or disease but can
find nothing so it leads me to the decision that perhaps it has just
reached the natural end of its life.
Is there anything else I can look for?

Perhaps it needs watering?

The border where the shrub lives is watered on a regular basis so I
think that it must be just old age

thanks for answering

kate
Old 12-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Kate Morgan

The border where the shrub lives is watered on a regular basis so I
think that it must be just old age

If might appreciate a good soaking nevertheless. About 15
minutes minimum with the hose. Gradual drying out can affect
established plants in different ways and unless you're really
determined to uproot it, it might be better to wait until next
spring and seeing if it makes any new growth before coming
to any decisions.

michael adams

Thank you Michael that is sound advice. I do want to keep it if
possible, I will increase its water supply and wait till next Spring.

kate

Sugar Maple age kate alt.forestry 18 06-05-2003 02:23 AM
Mud Settle-age BenignVanilla Ponds 6 05-05-2003 02:56 PM
[IBC] age of a sucker Craig Cowing Bonsai 2 23-04-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] Prove the Age of Trees John - NJ Bonsai 5 24-02-2003 04:39 AM
New Age Forestry? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 5 27-12-2002 03:46 PM